Trouble upon Trouble

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Trouble upon Trouble

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well guys, i've got 2 problems here. Mainly my mother wishes me to take one of the computers i use for spare parts and 'make it work' so she can use it... I manage to scrounge up some parts for it. But for the life of me, i can't get into bios, no matter what. I've tried every single one of the F keys, ctrl, del, shift, and esc. I've also reset the CMOS, yet still no luck.

Second of all, after that failed, i switched over to another computer that i had. Everything is put together on it (checked four times) exactly right. I even took it apart and put it back together! However, no matter what i do, it just won't turn on... (don't dare ask if i plugged it in...) I'm stumped. Any ideas as to why these computers have to give me so much trouble?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

Re: Trouble upon Trouble

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
Any fool can count the seeds in an apple. Only God can count all the apples in one seed. ~Robert H. Schuller
God is the greatest.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm...what model is the first mainboard? if you don´t know it check for prints on it, maybe we can find a user manual then (I had this trouble too with my old laptop, it was a weird keyboard shortcut I don´t remember any more :lol: )
and well, for the second box it could be anything, first check if the PSU fuse is ok, if yes try the PSU of the other box, make sure to unplug everything you don´t need to boot...look for a user manual of this board too, maybe only a jumper is plugged in wrong (I had this case already when a jumper was set to "boot from lan") :wink:

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

second issue sounds like it may be your PSU, if its not that then it may be where you have your switch plugged into the MOBO, but those are the only things i could think of with the info you gave...

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, the 2nd computer that i mentioned was custom built, so it has no stickers, and it's got a PII processor. And i'm pretty sure i've got the power supply plugged into the motherboard pretty securely and in the right place.

As for the first computer, it's 10 years old, an old Compaq Presario 4112. I spoke to their tech support about the problem, and they said 'well, reset the cmos'. So i did that, yet still nothing different. So they said 'take it to an authorized compaq service center'. I said 'no way' and they kept saying take it to a service center... Argh, they just don't get it... anyway, that's about all...

mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
Any fool can count the seeds in an apple. Only God can count all the apples in one seed. ~Robert H. Schuller
God is the greatest.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

old puters don't fade away, they just BSOD on you

Post by DNR »

Well I have a old pentium running, a whopping 333mhz chipset. I figure the computer is at least 12 years old. The damn monitor didn't make it, blew last year. So old boxes can still work, and I feel your pain.

At a certain point of time you are going to have to just tell your mom, "Lets go to Bestbuy and get an Emachine for $400." Yep they are that cheap, and she only needs a puter to type (one finger) emails or hang out in mom's chat (you hope). It is likely, that like many other non-geeks, the interest in puters will fade after a few months. (sore finger, and flamed out). I really think when she said "I want you to build me a computer so I can go online!" she really meant "You spend all day on the computer and I want you to spend some time with me!" I get those mixed messages a lot from my wife.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Nah. She has 2 jobs. She's a dentist and an office worker (make sure everyone pays their rent on a house rental business). She likes to take her work home because at the office, they can only get a dial up connection, while here we have an 8 mb/s connection. She also likes to play games like solitaire and spider solitaire, tetris, etc.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

mother trouble

Post by DNR »

bringing work home, from a medical office is a no-no, it violates the HIPPA law on patient nfo confidentuality and security. Even I have to shred/dispose my notes in a specific trash bin meant for secure docs before I leave work. It is supposed to be a big fine like $500 to $5,000.

Also if she is going to do this, she should get a decent computer with current patched OS and the latest antivir/trojan/spy protection. It is a business expense that can be written off at tax time. Tell her that she is not going to be happy trying to do important work on a slow computer that might crash anytime.

Buy her some flowers.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

No, no, she brings home the office work from the rental management. And that computer won't be up on the internet or anything. There's no problem using an older computer to just type up some papers, is there? (and play a few games?)