Help ! In trouble in the net (not legal trouble)

...let us know what you think, free speech!
DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Help ! In trouble in the net (not legal trouble)

Post by DrVirus »

Guys I seriously need your help. The thing is I signed up on an Indian Website recently. In that site a guy from my country(india) posted this picture of an artifact and said it was for sale. He claimed he made them. It was a couple of months old. I looked him up in the said website and it turned out he was an old member with more than 450 posts and he has previously done dealings with other members ( or that's what the posts suggested). So I PMed him about the artifact.

He said he can have it made for me and he can send it to me for 4000 INR. He gave me an address to post the money and a cell number to contact. We got in touch. And I sent him the money using a demand draft. We kept in touch.

Now two weeks ago he called and said that the thing is ready and he is sending it on Monday. He assured me that I should receive it within Friday. I didn't. So I thought maybe I should call and confirm he sent it or not. I did. His cell was unreachable. I tried that entire day it was still unreachable.

I have been trying for a week. It's still unreachable. Last night I went back to the website and checked whether he was coming online or not. I had this feature which shows when the last time the member was online. He was online that very day. SO I PMed him. I havn't received a reply. But the website suggests he was online after I PMed him and he did receive the message(it's in the sent box instead of the outbox).

Any bright ideas cause I am running out of them.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

contact the site adminstrator - they can suspend his account if he fails to uphold the standards of business on the site. The site admin might take heart to your issue and provide the user's real name or contact nfo.

In legal terms the guy has commited fraud, and if he is in the same country as you, you might be able to prosecute him in court, criminal or civil.

You should also use paypal or a credit card because then you have a intermediary to cancel the transaction or seek re-payment.

If you can find his real name, I see what I can do for look-ups, but I am not sure you have the same country resources like peoplesearch, public record lookups, etc.

Get your money.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

I have the real name but as u said we don't have stuff like peoplesearch around here. I also considered the legal aspect of the whole ordeal. And that's the worst part.Since I so foolishly paid him by a demand draft it's complicated. The thing with these demand drafts is that u purchase them from a bank with money and the guy who u sent it to cashes it in another bank. And the presious owner or sender isn't even notified about it. It's fast but as found out the hardway it has no evidence. Meaning I can't prove I paid him. he will blantly deny it. I have no evidence what so ever.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, you live and you learn. I think the guy will get what's coming to him though, after all, you reap what you sow :wink:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

The fact is, if you don't know someone..even if you think you know them, always have a leg up in any deal you make - otherwise you're setting yourself up for a lifetime of disappointing deals.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, money & internet = be VERY cautious!
you should do such "ok, I'll send you the money now" deals ONLY with people you REALLY know....else you should always use a escrow disposit.

you could surely involve a lawyer now, and I guess the chances to get your money back are not bad, BUT until you get it back you will have to pay all fees yourself...and how long it takes: nobody knows.
I checked it, 4000 INR equals about 60 Euro...so imo it's not worth it to go this way. take it as a lesson for the future.

but of course you shouldn't give up trying to contact the person, spam him with emails, PMs, etc., where you demand your stuff, set a deadline for him (2-3 weeks), tell him you "will involve a lawyer" if you don't have your delivery or your money back until then. the closer the deadline gets the more nervous he will become....at the beginning he will not take it serious, but then a tiny voice in his head will begin to say "what if he really does it?".

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

well, here is one thing- the guys a crook so it might work.

You can look up a legit law firm in your city, and fake a letterhead, logo, and send him a "legal notice of intent to collect".

The phone numbers can be a friend, just simply have the friend answer unknown numbers with "Law office of ...." and "I am sorry, he is out of the office may I take a message?"

The guy is not likely to really verify the lawyer - he is going to want to call you and have you get the lawyer off his back. You'll 'dismiss' your lawyer if he pays you.

yea for 60 euro its not worth tracking him down for a beating either, but I would still campaign to get the guy removed from the website in question for fraud anyways - it would be the right thing to do.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Oh, that's good DNR, that's good :lol:

You could really fuck with the guy's head that way.

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

Hey nice idea DNR. I can surely do that. Since I got his address. I can surely send him a message like that one. And about 4000 INR equal to 60 euro do u guys know, in india you can buy a pentium four computer with 1.6GHz processor, 512 SD RAM and 80 GB harddisk with 4000 INR ?

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

DrVirus wrote:do u guys know, in india you can buy a pentium four computer with 1.6GHz processor, 512 SD RAM and 80 GB harddisk with 4000 INR ?
we'll yeah the prices in India and neighboring countries are really low, specially for electronics.
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

if you are going to do this - do it right.

The law firm will mail it snail mail, via certified mail (meaning the reciever has to sign for it) on a nice quality paper. It can be printed from a computer, but it should have quality letter head, no misspellings, and use legal terms. The form will be signed by the lawyer.

Again, this is a forgery and you''ll want to be careful.

DNR
-

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Something like this DNR?

I made that at 300 DPI :P

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

:lol: thats real good.
You can also find examples like
http://web.co.clayton.ga.us/pdfs/superi ... 20copy.pdf

This one is a sweet one!
http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/courts/forms/scl/scl012.pdf

:twisted: Again be careful! You are forging state/federal documents and falsifying documents.

DNR
-

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

DNR wrote: Again be careful! You are forging state/federal documents and falsifying documents.

DNR
I like to see it as tit-for-tat :twisted:

Thanks for the help. keep helping though,