Greetings from another newb

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I agree with you, jaggy!
A group mentoring system which we have here is a lot better. This way everyone can learn from one persons tutorial. Also it's kinda better that there are no personal mentors in this field because this way you can learn self-education. To get used to learning without anyone's help, maybe only a little bit of guidance from others which is an important thing in computer science imo.

Oh and hi there old_ape! Welcome to suck-o! ;)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

well, first off, let me say I am proud of the responses to this thread.

Maybe you didn't see it but everyone of you have a mentor already.
Maybe its some unwritten code, but hackers look out for other hackers. Maybe the need to listen to someone is just a form of intelligence gathering, and we use each other. The network of hackers needs the connectivity to survive. We are all independent, but the hacker movement requires a certain kind of parcipation, and mentoring is a part of that movement.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

old_ape

Post by old_ape »

Excellent thread, folks. I've only been a member here for a little over 72 hours, and have already received a tremendous amount of mentoring, without any direct interaction (which fits my anti-social tendancies as well ;-).

In just a couple hours of perusing, I've learned that IP hasn't change a whole lot from when I first installed a tcp/ip stack on a 16-bit "window's for woodchucks" box back in 1991 (I was a god back then, running my unix boxes from a windows box - LOL). Security has gotten WAY better, but I've also confirmed my suspicions that the more things change, the more they stay the same. I suspect that at some point, there may be room for contribution from me on the dark arts of relational database manipulation (but I'll not bore you, until then).

I also very much respect the ethic demonstrated by the more capable members of this board. I consider that the highest form of mentorship.

Bravo Zulu.

-oa

jaggy1
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jaggy1 »

old_ape wrote:In just a couple hours of perusing,
:wink: amazing accumulation of knowledge isnt it? What I really appreciate is there is always an answer but then usually a link or some direction for more information and its up to each person how much/how far they want to go with it. I have a collection of links to reference as I go and am just amazed at the knowledge ppl have. I told a family member about this site ( she is a dassi expert - original geekette from the early 70's punch card times hehehe) and she said oh yeah great site i love it! Ha and I thought I knew some secret! Teach me to think wont it?!