I've decided to get serious about learning Java....again.

Questions about programming languages and debugging
Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've decided to get serious about learning Java....again.

Post by Stavros »

So, I was bored and rememberd that I had a 591 page Java Tome. Well, since I normally don't do anything after school (aside from the homework) I thought I could devote an hour or so to learning to program in Java.

So, my firs step is to obtain a java compiler.

I went to Sun Microsystems website, went to "Downloads," then went to "Java" and I've hit a wall. I don't know what to download. The book says to go to the following web page to get the compiler version (at the time the book was printed):

Code: Select all

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3
So, any hints? The only thing that's holding me back is the compiler. After that I've got the book and I'm home free. So, hints ahoy!

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download ... ns-50.html

I think I have this one and I use JCreator Pro
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the link.

Not to sound like a Doubting Thomas (or sound like I distrust you), but I just wanted to get a second opinion on the newest version. You know, so I don't download 100+ MB of stuff only to find out that it's old (especially for what little download bandwidth I've got). So, anyways, thanks Nerdz and B_B.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I pointed him to get 1.4.2 nerdz, 1.5 is a little strange because it don´t support javac -wc which is very useful for beginners to check the code for syntax errors...but well, maybe it´s integrated in the netbeans IDE, I had not much time to check it out since I´ve installed it... :?