Is IE 6 > IE 7,8 ?

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
JohnB
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Is IE 6 > IE 7,8 ?

Post by JohnB »

I recently upgraded to IE 8. I was mostly disappointed. For one flash keeps randomly turning it self off and it crashes a lot. Someone recommended that I go back to IE 6 due to stability and speed. Because IE 6 is an old browser does this mean it's more vulnerable? (FWIW IE is not my main browser). Which of the 3 would you use if you had to use one? Thanks.
Sprich mit mir!

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I hear ya. I have been through IE6, 7, 8beta, and now 8.
I noticed as IE 'gets smarter' it robs me of some features. On 8 I notice that I am stuck wondering if my page is loading as the bottom text bar no longer informs me of what IE is doing, I don't even have a revolving Icon on the URL tab to tell me its not hung or thrashing.

The layout looks cleaner in IE 8, but every tab under Internet Options is exactly the same - security, connections, programs, advanced- etc - no new customizable features.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, I don't think IE6 is really more vulnerable than IE7 or 8....imo all 3 suck... :lol:
the biggest problem with IE6 is the bad w3 compatibility, especially sites of the "web 2.0" generation can be problematic and may not be displayed properly. I use IE6 only for checking sites I am building, and they often look catastophic when CSS is used for the layout.

any good reasons why you have to use IE? I mean, FF is much better (even if it's bloated compared to the earlier versions), you may also have a look at K-Meleon:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

:wink:

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

any good reasons why you have to use IE?
Basically I like to cuztomize my browser. So when things go wrong I can always rely on IE working as a backup. Plus, I sometimes have to use it for manual updates from the microsoft website. I may install k-melon- itl ooks pretty cool.

But if you have to use one would you pick IE 7 ?
Sprich mit mir!

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

sure, a patched IE 7 is what I kind of wish for, but you watch M$ will keep bugging you to upgrade to IE8 - saying no more patches/updates offered for IE 7.
Don't fret I find a lot of places still using IE 6!
Then there is Google's Chrome...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I dont use IE but i always upgrade to 7 after a fresh install and updating. I wont install 8 for the reason everyone else is finding out which is bugs. IE for me too is for back up purposes which isnt right often but can sometimes be needed. firefox3 crashes sometimes and usually when i have problems with that i have problems with opera too. Even though FF crashes sometimes i still prefer it over IE!
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, if I would really have to use IE (2 vietcong with AK47s standing behind me yelling "pick IE version! didi mau!!")
I would use IE7... :lol:

the latest versions coming from MS are usually buggy and insecure, and IE6 is simply too old already and has problems with handling modern sites.... :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

didi meant run or run away. Mau meant quickly or now. :wink:
Sin loi meant "bad luck"
boo-coo was broken french for a lot or great.
bac-bac meant shoot.
charlie was taken from a shorten version of Victor Charlie, radio call signs for Viet Cong.

DNR
-