Inclusion of goto in php 5.3

Questions about programming languages and debugging
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Inclusion of goto in php 5.3

Post by Big-E »

It seems rather odd to include the goto statement in a newer release, it`s rather easy to control a program with if/switch statements opposed to goto; however, I can see some beneficial uses however, if php is aiming towards an entirely object orientated language (which it appears as if they are -- slowly) then why would they need this?

What are your thoughts on the inclusion of such control structures? It seems like an OLD solution to a current problem - bloat.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

probably they want you to be able to do one thing in more than one ways in php...like perl
so probably a programmer transitioning from a simpler language, like basic, feels comfortable and not overwhelmed,

and also its the classic coding style, probably still used in C, (though its not a very good practice),
so probably they want to inherit the legacy of programming heritage (lol)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, people usually expect new features with every release...the http side of PHP is pretty complete, not much left to add, so I guess the PHP developers now maybe focus more on the CLI side.

what I would like to see are different PHP install versions for servers....like "minimalistic, standard, full", I bet many server admins would love that.