Python Game

Questions about programming languages and debugging
FaoX
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Python Game

Post by FaoX »

I'm not really looking for a howto at the moment I've started my game but I need more ideas. I play alot of hacking simulator games but I want to make my own. Right now its going to be a single player rpg style game. What I'm looking for is some good ideas on in game material. As of now its a text based game written entirely in python(mostly to help me focus on the language more) but I will eventually make it have a gui with pretty eye candy and what not. As of now im using a small textbased file for storing progress information. There is a simple connection method and a few hosts in the game to connect to and login too. Im using a cheap system of waiting currently for cracking passwords but I would like it to be slightly more realistic, but I'm not sure of how to add an exploit system of sorts without basically making up my own language for the game to read...wich sounds like more work then its worth. There is also a small email system that will keep you up to date on your current tasks and where to go and another very simple system of adding a back door to a host you've already been into. So guys any ideas?
\"The OS is detected as NetBSD (it will even run on your toaster).\"

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

Actually making up your own language and implementing it isn't as hard as it might seem. All you need are a few functions that will do specific things. You could allow players to write scripts and save them.

It could look like this:

Code: Select all

openport = scan (target)
connect (openport)
try sql_inject
if success
look_at_data
endif
disconnect
Just check one line at a time. As for how to implement the variable (openport), you could simply add it to a dictionary and then when it shows up (connect) substitute it for the value. As long as you don't make it any more complicated than that it should be fine.

Oh and about the password-cracking, you could make it so that you need specific algorithms to crack passwords. I hope you get some ideas... :P

FaoX
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by FaoX »

Thanks ya thats something I was thinking about. I'm also looking for story line ideas like things you can do in the game. Possibly like tricky situations etc. Again any more ideas would be greatly appreciated, and when its done I will post my source for all of you to play around with it.
\"The OS is detected as NetBSD (it will even run on your toaster).\"

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

What about an evil hacking group that is creating a virus that can spread to RL and your mission is to stop them? You could start out with the player finding some mysterious pieces of code and then infiltrate the enemies' networks. I suppose this could work, but make sure that the enemy isn't known in the beginning, I think it would be better if the player was to uncover it himself, slowly.

Anyway maybe it's too cliche :lol: