Everything to notepad [file type SOLVED]

Problems? Post here...
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Everything to notepad [file type SOLVED]

Post by Kirk »

I don't know why this happened so I'm hoping someone can tell me.

My friend was on my nephews computer. She was downloading different copies of Windows. She opened one of the .NFO files with notepad. The box that says 'open all file of this kind with this program' was checked (I dont think this was the cause though). Anyways, every file on the computer changed to a notepad file. .exe files, .dll, .nfo, damn near every file on the computer.

I wasnt able to run anything. At first I thought it was just the links on the desktop. So I right-clicked (RC) the now notepad'ed link and told it to take me to the destination file, however it still used notepad to try and open it. Strange me thinks.

I searched high and low. Every file and folder. Nothing. All notepad. I even changed the .NFO file she changed back to how it is suppose to open. I didnt really think it would work, and it didnt.

I tried everything I could think of. Even a system restore. But to no avail because they all opened in notepad.

I thought to myself, whats making it open in note pad? Windows is. Windows is telling it how to open (incorrectly). This is windows' fault, not hers. The hell with windows, I want DOS!!

Reboot, F12. Now I get many, many options. Lucky me one of them is a restore option. I dont even have to try and find the .exe for sysrestore. Wham-Bam. Restored. When Windows is restored and opened the links on the desktop are still notepad but everything else is fine. (Im making her delete each link and replace it with a working one).

My question is: why and how did all the files become linked to notepad? I could understand if it was just the .NFO files because of the checked box when you RC it; but all of them? Someone please tell me why this happened and the correct way I should have fixed it.

THANKS!!!

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, if you hadn't already fixed the problem, i would have told you to go to control panel -> folder options -> file types. That may have given us some answers. Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that i have no idea.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, this one will at least help with the .exe files:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exeasso.htm

:-k

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

gog was right, she fuxored the file types. On Vista I checked Control Panel>>Programs>>Default Programs>>"Make a file type always open with a specific program">>.nfo (system information file )>>Change Program button

Or go to Default Programs.

Very important to point out - >The changes will apply ONLY to the USER account that person is in. This points to the very importance of setting up a proper USER account on Windows. ONLY GOD HAS ADMIN STATUS - Everyone else gets GUEST priviledges - After all God is Eternal -everyone else is just visiting :wink: Teach people to setup Vista the secure way.

Control Panel>>Manage Accounts

You do have three Options Admin, Standard, and Guest.
"When you are logged on to Windows with a standard account, you can do anything that you can do with an administrator account, but if you want to do something that affects other users of the computer, such as installing software or changing security settings, Windows might ask you to provide a password for an administrator account."
At least the Standard Account will prompt you with a warning that the change will effect ALL users on the machine - giving second thought. If the person is too stupid to chew gum and type at the same time - by all means set them up with a Guest Account
"
People using the guest account can't install software or hardware, change settings, or create a password."

~EOF~

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by leetnigga »

I don't believe in the existence of an Administrator :P

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

i did try the control panel option however it was one of the files that was converted to notepad (not control panel, the files inside it). I was able to change the file back by RC'ing on it. When I said nearly every file, I meant nearly every file. Hundreds and hundreds of them.