The Bike thread ~

...let us know what you think, free speech!
floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

The Bike thread ~

Post by floodhound2 »

Well summer had been great so far and I have been up the mountain several times a week for a few months. I just added new brakes and tires with rims and hubs. Total cost for the parts

$100 for tires
$250 for hubs and rims
$90 for brakes

I bought the widest tires I could get and man the difference was incredible.

The frame and other parts are from last year.

http://rawcircuits.com/wp-content/uploa ... g_0096.jpg

http://rawcircuits.com/wp-content/uploa ... g_0101.jpg

http://rawcircuits.com/wp-content/uploa ... g_0100.jpg

http://rawcircuits.com/wp-content/uploa ... g_0099.jpg

http://rawcircuits.com/wp-content/uploa ... g_0098.jpg

http://rawcircuits.com/wp-content/uploa ... g_0097.jpg

http://rawcircuits.com/wp-content/uploa ... g_0096.jpg

Take a look and share your if you have one

:wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

hey ! nice - disc brakes. I got a full suspension bike, I will post mine soon.
Those prices are about right, I spend $45 for good specialized team master tires each. BB and I were talking about swapping tires out for cruising on the pavement.

I even brought lights for riding in the dark - its hard to ride off road at night - the light causes a one-dimensional effect and makes it hard to judge technical sections.

I have been up to 54mph on a downhill, and I have gone to the hospital three times for crashes. If my tan is right, I will also take a picture of my knee - it has the perfect "big ring" teeth marks on it from landing on it.

Famous last words - If I say this - please stop me!
"Hey Watch This!"
usually prior to a big biff
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Interesting you mention road tires. I have thought about this as well and to tell you the truth its a hard decision to make. I figured since I ride mostly off road then I should get good tires. One day while ridding on the mountain I got yet another flat. That was the decision maker for me. These tires I got are hardcore and hook up!

My hard tail will soon receive new front forks. The ones I got on now are weak. I kind of lean towards these

The fastest I have gone down the mountain this year is 40Mph. Now mind you, this is on a trail that's less than 2 feet wide and winds in most all spots. I have thought about getting a helmet cam to film it for you all. I catch some nice air in some places if I hit the jump right.

Lights - not in the picture but I got a cheap LED that works so so.

Cant wait to see the bike DNR. 8O

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

wow, really nice one floody.... :D
will post pics of mine too, it's a pretty cheap one that I have pimped a little with better parts, I am thinking about building a better one from scratch....this time no fully :-k

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Yea sort of what I am doing BB. My bike was around $450 when I bought it, but slowly I am putting some good parts on it. :P

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I have been mtn biking since 1992. I started out with a hardtail Specialized Rock Hopper - it too had a very heavy, shitty front fork. I rode in a mtn bike race with it and at least finished. It was a $450 bike. I saw a lot of 'sandbaggers' - obvious team-supported riders with jerseys even that were hogging the action in the beginner's races - how do you compete with a moron with $3000 bike?

Eventually I went and brought the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. It is a full suspension bike with a Fox air/oil shock in the back - now before people start whining about how full suspension bikes don't climb as well as a hardtail - you have to consider the linkage types. I also learned to crank differently on the full suspension bike - the hard tail you can smash the petals hard as you want - thats not good on a FSB - you'll lose power as the linkage flexes, so you have to crank powerfully, but smoothly. The FSB is actually nice for uphill as you are meant to sit down (to compress the shock) You actually relax your upperbody and just let the legs do the work. On the downhills thats where the FSB proves its worth - you can crank on downhills and turns - the shock absorbs the bumps to keep the tires on the ground. You have more control for cornering.
I replaced the Shimano LX gears and shifters after the first year. I upgraded to XT gears and shifters. You will go through gears ever year or so - shifting under pressure is tough on the teeth. I actually have a 24 speed! - instead of adding another granny gear, I added another power ring - a ten tooth. Its easy to cruise at 35 mph on pavement with it. I got the rapidfire shifters - perfect for me because I shift as fast as I shoot! When I clear a hill you can hear me clickclickclick as I bump up multiple gears for max power. Around here, we call Gripshift - 'gripshit' because it gets dirty and freewheels. Also you don't need to bump the gripshift when the ride gets rocky and dump you out of gear.
I actually strapped on a full sized VHS video camera to the top tube and rode the bike - I found the camera should be head mounted as you need to look where you want to go, and the bike is usually pointed the otherway. I then got a Sony HandyCam with betasized tapes, and strapped it onto my chest (I thought if I biffed I could tuck and roll to protect the $600 camera) Those were nice pictures - I can't find the tapes now! Some of the video I got was akin to watching a roller coaster video, ups and downs, turns and OOHHH AHaa factors - video is impressive fast on a single track.

The bike is now worth $2500 - I ditched the rims for lighter weight alloys and stronger hubs. I have bent a nice $150 rim, so I promise never to buy a rim over $100 anymore - they will get fuxored at those downhill bombs - I too love those single track downhills. I have body armor - pads for the elbow and forearms, and pads for the knee and shin. When I did my 54mph downhill - that was the day I wore no armor - like floodie says - you are practically airborne halfway down this hill, skimming over rocks and loose dirt, with huge trees waiting on the sidelines to be your tombstone. There is no soft grass to fall on to, you crash - you eat rocks and trees.
In the Summer the trails get so overgrown - you need a hacker's mind to mentally map out the terrain because you can't see more than 5 feet in front of you due to the lush growth. I also replaced the front fork with a Judy RoxShox XC fork. The seat post for a lighter weight, the seat for better comfort (trashed the original in a biff) I did one time replace the handle bars with a carbon fiber lightweight - I snapped it at 37phm, I was doing a downhill, and when I hit the bottom of the hill and had to jerk the bike to the right - it snapped and threw me right into the bottom of the hill. I smashed the foam in my Troy Lee helment, my glasses cut under my eye, and I ripped a shoulder muscle out of its sheath. I was shocked I was like WTF happened, as I wake up and look over to the bike I see the damn handle bar dangling. I still had to walk almost two miles to get back to my vehicle. I got stuck in rush hour traffic and started going into shock - chills, pale, palpitations - so I had to pull over at a firestation.
_You know you love your bike, when they are putting you in the ambulance - all you can say is "Hey, my bike - I can't leave my bike!" The firefighters brought it inside for me.

I talked my security company to let me ride bicycle patrol at some job sites - Red Roof Hotels, Private community patrols, Fairs - they loved it - criminals instantly knew they were in trouble - you just can't hear a bike coming up on you at 35mph. So it was cool to get paid to ride for work, I was the envy of the other officers. I got the neat bike with "Bike Patrol" on it, attached to a rack on the back of a Jeep Cherokee patrol vehicle.
Because of that - I had to switch out the knobby tires - they don't corner well on pavement (the side knobs flex) and they are noisy and expensive tires. I found some Chinese tires, sort of slick, but with some tread - it is also made of harder compound rubber to reduce the wear. I also had to install lights - it is a misdemeanor in our state to operate a bicycle after dark without a white light in the front and a red light in the back.

I ride to get in the zone. My riding style is this - I warm up by starting out slow, and then my speeds just get faster and faster - my thrill is the "OOH shit! I made it" factor of not crashing on the technical sections. I love switchback trails - they are looping trails that are in the valleys of hills, you loop up the side of the hill, and yank the bike almost 180 to loop back down. I love single track that takes you along a river or cliffside, only a 4" wide trail to stay or crash!

I would ride almost all year around - you have to map out your favorite trails in your head - you plan when to shift and brake, you memorize the trail because in the summer it is overgrown. The only time not to ride is in the spring when the ground is too mushy - you'll fuck up the trail. I have ridden in the snow and knobbies are great! We have also ridden across a lake - hearing the ice cracking underneath you will make you crank faster!

I like meeting real mtn bikers, they got that cool hippie like attitude - they are helpful to those that are out in the middle of nowhere, while like me, antisocial to the posers that sit in the parking lot shining their bikes. There is a special attitude for people that experience the hardships of mtn biking. It takes more than an hour to cover 15 miles on a technical single track, it is just not as easy as cranking on a flat sidewalk. Those that know, will respect the trail and love the bike.

Thanks for bringing up another side topic to CIS floodie, it points out that man cannot live on code alone - he must have other hobbies and projects.

You can count on picts of my bike later today, just got to wait for the wifey to wake up before I start moving around.

For the non-riders - single track is a trail that is only wide enough for a mtn bike tire, up to 5" - these trails are uncomfortable to walk on due to its narrow size. Trails that are wide enough for people to walk or up to 6feet wide are called Double-tracks.
Off road bike riding has gotten stupid - some parks get rid of singletracks because they are 'not accessable to others' - sometimes they have even PAVED the fucking trail to make it like a damn sidewalk. Some parks made it a $200 fine if you went off the trail, and they had to designate signs to tell newbies which way to ride on the trail (trails can be one way due to the technical nature of it, newbies couldn't figure this out - so they put up the lame signs)

I hate congestion on the trail - it reminded me of what happen to my favorite internet - mtn biking became so cool - people wanted to get the cool expensive bikes, and look bad ass - but they never spent time on the trails or put in the miles. They would cruise on the sidewalk and hang out in the parkinglots. Sounds like newbies eh?

Oh lastly I use clip-in petals, I find they give you more power (you can pull as well as push the petals now) and its easier to bunnyhop.
I remember the first time trying them out - you clip in, but you don't clip out in time for putting your foot down, so you look like an idiot falling over sideways on your bike at stop! lol

DNR
Last edited by DNR on 17 Aug 2009, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Yea I started ridding back in the early days say 1988 when ridding in the woods was not so popular. I have also ran in a race and like you I noticed all the posers. These guys had legs like a frog on steroids and bikes as lean as a Victoria Secret underwear model - probable more expensive to keep up. I was kicking ass passing biker after biker; I think that my ability to go down a vertical wall of rock stems from ridding skateboards. I did not finish however. I crashed on a pile of slate trying to pass the leader. It flattened my front tire and bent my rim. It was a great experience that was slightly enhanced with the nice spliff I had before the race. I want to race again and I will soon.

Lately I have been riding on the single tracks up on Beacon Hill Spokane WA. You tube it and you'll see my back yard. Also I ride up at Spokane Mountain, and many other places around here.

Soon ill post some picture of the single track that I love to ride. Its curvy and full of trees. You defiantly don't want to mess up or a tree will gladly kiss your face with its deep dark bark.

I am an adrenaline junky and it don't get much better when your arms are stinging from a fast ride down the side of a mountain with blurred vision.

A few pics out ridding:

This is me on my specialized back in the day ridding in the Humboldt County Forrest.

This is an old rail road trail I rode for 20 miles. Many many tunnels that I had to go through. I needed a light man... and the bats!

And me outside sporting the beard on the rail road trails.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

It is a relationship of man and machine - what better hobby for a hacker - another machine.

I also like to ride singletrack because no one else is out there. All the fools are on the double track riding with their heads up their asses.

Ohh so you DNF? did not finish. Thats tough I actually crashed in my race too, slid sideways taking a corner too fast, out of breath, and people on the sidelines cheering me on. I ran two races, one at Bloomer Park, another at Addison Oaks, I finished last but that was ok considering all the DNFs. You never walk your bike to the finishline, you got to ride!

I quit the races because they always did stupid shit like run the trail backwards (to make it harder?) and those team-sponsored sandbaggers.

I like to ride out to a isolated section, and sit and smoke one. I try to find the most scenic place to meditate. And you never see cops out on the distant trails :wink:

Like hacking, you occasionally see some girls! Some girls (like marialara) are great hackers, and therefore can be great mtn bikers! I was always impressed to see a gal out in the boonies hacking the technical sections.

Riding the bike is a pump, you get the adrenalin going, and you just want more and more, so you go back over the trail and take faster and faster until you find the limits of traction. I love uphills because that means there is a bitchin downhill coming.

I like powerbars, they work, I drink water, but I will prep before with a sports drink. I can carry two water bottles, I got a tool kit in the pack under the seat - thats where you carry the smokes too! I love cellphones because I could be out riding - but I could still make sales calls when my customers called me - just like I was at the office all day heh! I sometimes carry a tirepump, but I admit I would just hope someone would come along and help my inflate the tire. Usually if you ride in a group, one guy gets designated as the one to carry a airpump. The best way to prevent flats is to inflate to proper firmness. The specialized Team Master tires have stronger sidewalls to prevent 'snakebite' flats from hitting sharp rocks.

The worst accident I saw was some guy that got impaled on a sapling someone cut down and left like a punji. (we get a lot of misguided environmentalist that boobytrap some trails) Again, it is very expensive and difficult to rescue people that seriously biff out in the boonies. They have had helicopter rescues to airlift people out. I think hardcore mtn biking should be like SCUBA diving, you should ride with someone.

Other accidents I had were crashing into other people - again people that don't follow the unwritten rules of trail direction - I would be bombing down a hill, and some clown is walking his bike up the hill - his fat ass+ bike perfectly blocking the trail. You would also have people that panic when you yell "Passing! On the Left!" they would drift across both sides of the trail swiveling their heads around trying to decide if they should shit or go blind.

I also believe in trail preservation, besides rebuilding technical sections, you follow rules like don't modify sections, learn them. One big rule that is abused by new bikers is skidding - skidding is not a proper bike tactic - it has no traction and it damages the trail and tires. You learn to control your brakes like ABS on a car. Skidding causes ruts that rainwater will deepen, this damages trails. Pack out what you brought in, don't leave your empty water bottles, powerbar wrappers, and beercans.

I enoy discussing bike with you flood, bbl with the photos!

DNR
-

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Ok My photos -

This is my 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR with mods. The front fork is a Judy RockShox XC with 2.75" of travel, adjustable firmness. The tires are the chinese ones for pavement, they are hard rubber and pump up to 65psi. The down tube has my name on it - it was customary to hide the bike's label when you mod it - it also hides the idenitity of expensive bikes by painting and decaling it up.

This is the close up of the air/oil shock by Fox, I get 2.75" travel, the ty-wrap is on there to tell me how much travel I am using, and I can let air out or pump it up to adjust.

This is the front fork, you can see the stronger quality Wilderness hub, and the mavic rims. Speed sensor is on the left leg for the Cateye readout.

I got plenty of tires for every terrain, It is easier to swap out entire rim/tire than the tire itself. I also use cheaper rims in wet conditions - the abrasive mud eats at the rims.

Out of focus sorry, but it points to why you shouldn't bother buying expensive rims, dents like these are common and unrepairable.

I don't have the more expensive V-brakes or disc brakes, but I do rig an extra wide aftermarket brakepad

My gear - My long time friend, my Troy Lee helmet. It is more durable than others. I found my elbow and forearm pads, and you can see my shoes with cleats to clip into the petals. The air pump is for the rear suspension - it can pump up to 250lbs - which a regular tire pump cannot.

WARNING NUDITY!
remember - you were warned!
my right knee, you can see the pattern left by the big ring gouging my knee. I shaved just for you!

DNR
-

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

First off, Nice bikes guys.
Those are some nice views of the mountains floodhound.

OK, here is my bike :D

Code: Select all

http://img200.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscf2306t.jpg
A few pics. The frame is a blkmrkt riot. Fork is a dirtjumper2 Marzocchi. Wheels are atomlab pimplites.

The weight of the bike is around 32 pounds.

Built it myself from the ground up.

The bike is meant to be a street/dirt jump bike. Although I already have it for a year, I suck at street, and where I live there are no dirt jumps. Occasionally I go in to the park and ride some trails too, Where it seems that no one has rode there for quite some time. I am planning on building some dirt jumps myself, but I will see how that goes as the only park around here is a local one so not really my property.

Before this bike, I had a trek 4300 disc brakes, for around 2 years.

I got into biking about 3 years ago in Ukraine. We had many people into freeriding and downhill. Here in Philly I don't see anyone on bikes that do any type of riding, only for transportation from point A to B.

Next summer I am hoping to visit Diablo Mountain Bike Park. Heard the park was nice.

Take it easy out there guys. Enjoy the trails and have fun!

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

svy - wasn't that so cool, just like building your own computer you can build and tweak a bike. It just made mtn biking a natural for me.

BB was talking about building a hybrid, so you might give him some tips!

I understand - the park is controlled by the park dept and they don't like people setting up technical sections or building jumps. What we did was found a section of trail near land - and made it detour to our technical jump - park didn't care as long as it was not their responsibility.

I didn't know you ride, so thats so cool. Anyone else?

DNR
-

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

Yep, I love building, modifying, my own stuff for some reason. Makes the final product more enjoyable to use.

I'm not sure I could be much of help, but if any questions do arise I would sure try to help solve the problem.

Well I am a bit nervous about building the dirt jumps. I found a good spot, but near that spot there is a small trail, looks like for horse riding, although there were bike tracks too. So if I build some dirt jumps, and someone (kids) come along on the trail, they might try to jump, thus injuring themselves. This of course could come back to me.

Anyways that's something I should worry about if it happens.

One of my worst accidents was about 4 years ago when I was going really fast on my bike, on pavement no less. I managed somehow to lose control and brake my right arm. My knees and elbows were all bleeding from sliding on the pavement.

Also for the past few years, while riding some trails, I caught some poison Ivy. We seam to have a lot of it here in Philly. In fact I have some in my back yard :lol:.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

DNR
Nice rig my man and the scar is impressive. I think that all men need a few good scars, god knows I have my fair share. Hey man that pump looks old or at least sturdy. The one I have is all plastic and might only last a few years.

SVYATKO
Nice rig as well, looks clean and smooth. I bet catching air is a cake walk on that bike.

So, reading all this yesterday got me worked up to a point that I went on a 2 hour ride up on the mountain. It was strange but, when I got to the top I meet some dudes. We talked a bit and after some bike talk they invited me to smoke a little "kind" on a rock overlooking the city. Man its been years, but felt good. We then proceeded to ride some steep steep trails. I rarely meet anyone that likes to ride steep and fast and so it was a well needed adrenaline rush. My work is stressing me out so this ride was refreshing.

Thanks fellas for getting me up the hill yesterday. P.S. my 2.5" wide tires were the talk yesterday. They got a kick out of them and never seen such a wide tire. :lol:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

alright, here's mine....not as high quality as your bikes, but good to shred through the city and cause panic on the streets... :lol:
it is based on a pretty cheap bike that I pimped a little:

the infamous butt-killer saddle, every year when I start biking again I have to suffer for some weeks until I am used to it again:

time for new tires maybe? ^^

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

BB Its a Y-frame! And its in decent maintence shape - a sign of a good rider.

For the girls in the forum - BB needs that special bike seat because he has such a big dick he has to put it though the hole there.. :lol:

I still think its a good ride - the suck-o sticker will keep people from stealing it :wink:

DNR
-