If you were to have a portable yet powerful computer...

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

If you were to have a portable yet powerful computer...

Post by floodhound2 »

If you were to have a portable yet powerful computer what would you like to have on it?

I am thinking about designing a motherboard that will be small and fast. Some of the hardware I have in mind:

• Two 8 core processors
• Internet access using my very own network adaptor. Spoofing anyone?
• Keyboard - laptop style I think.
• Mouse
• Monitor
• SD slot for SD memory cards
• Ram
• a USB port or two
• Hard drive perhaps a solid state HDD.
• GPS

Keep in mind this is going to be extremely small in comparison to today's standards and very affordable yet, Its not going to be for sale and I am only going to be making 5 if I decide to go ahead with it.

Any input is appreciated.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

What would happen if I had a nic address that matched a server? :twisted:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

using an IP of another server will not work because the hostname resolution will fail at the 1st DNS server that is queried by the packet on its path to the target system. you could of course spoof outgoing packets but the incoming ones will be routed to the original IP again.... :wink:

what would be really great for a protable device is a wireless antenna connector (like some Buffalo wlan cards have), nothing sweeter than being able to connect a nice cantenna imo... :)

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

After thinking more about this. What if I focused more on the computers ability to connect to the internet. Downsizing the hardware considerably thus taking full advantage of Google's new internet software it would have features like excel, word and others. This would make for a much slimmer operating system. Just a browser and a few drivers.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yep, for portable devices efficiency is the key, imagine how much power a system with 16 cores would need....Atom CPUs would be nice, if you want more CPU power AMD X2 ones would be good (there are 2 versions, one needs 125 W and the other only 95W).
as HDD I would recommend the WD "Caviar Green" series, they are designed for low power usage... :wink:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

What if you could put two Atom CPUs in parallel (kind of like a poor man's dual core) much like server motherboards with two CPU slots?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Sounds like a powerful netbook? Well a wardrivers dream would be a linux OS with a approved wnic for sniffing and injecting 802.11

I would also like to have a multitool setup - Ports you can use, a RJ-45 jack, USB, and even RJ-11. This gives you several other ways to connect to the internet or even a LAN. The USB besides for data storage, can also run a USB cellular modem. It would be sweet to have an antenna connector so you can affix external antennas for the wnic - not every one will need a 9db gain antenna, but its nice to have that option. DC/AC converter built in, so you can tap in to any 12v DC source for power(external batteries or any automobile) As a Wardriver I have to carry the extra device - the DC/AC adapter for the laptop.

Like you said - it don't need a large HDD if it uses cloud computing to provide application services.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.