"Eiger" OS

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

"Eiger" OS

Post by bad_brain »

Hey, heard of the thin client "Eiger" which will be released by MS?
Sound like the first nice thing from MS since...um...since the step from 95 to 98... :lol:
The OS is supposed to run even with Pentium1-processors, needs only 500mb space, 64mb RAM and will support all needed basic functions.
Nice for people with old hardware (like my beloved PII-lappy) :)
Am I wrong or does MS wants to get back customers from the Linux-corner with this step?
I mean, when you have a really slow system what can you do:
-Win95, maybe 98
-a lightweight Linux distro or even pure textmode

I couldn´t find a official release date, but I will surely try it, because 2000 on my 48mb RAM-lappy is REALLY annoying and I don´t think any Linux distro will support the old hardware, especially the graphics card ... :?

P.S. Maybe someone have some experience with Linux on old Armada-lappies?

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

Sounds very nice, my little brother's pc is running XP on 4GB hdd, 64 mb ram and a 533mhz processor, i can assure you it's really slow :D :D , he needed xp for some program ( dunno exactly what it was) so if it's fully compatible with xp it's very nice.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

...is running XP on 4GB hdd, 64 mb ram and a 533mhz processor, i can assure you it's really slow..
I know what you mean, my lappy is some sort of Zen-Machine, because it teaches the art of patience, about 5 minutes until the bootup is finished... :lol:

Well, your brother should buy some RAM, 64mb is the minimum for XP (says MS), but I would say the absolute minimum is 128. :wink:
I would buy some RAM too for my lappy, but 144pin EDO SO-DIMMs are REAL expensive because they are outdated and therefore only produced in very little ammounts, for original Compaq 128mb RAM I would have to pay up to 800 euro... :?

I´ll see if I can find out more about Eiger (hardware support, compatibility to XP and stuff like that)... :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Ok,found some stuff:

There is no official release-date yet, but it looks like it has full compability to XP because it´s technically a mix of XP and Windows Embedded.
Just basic programs like browser, media player or virus scanner can be run locally, many programs only can be run on the server. Well, this alone isn´t too bad, but no wireless networking is possible, and that is really hard for laptop users.... :?