34th International Kolkata Book Fair

...let us know what you think, free speech!
DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

34th International Kolkata Book Fair

Post by DrVirus »

I know you guys immensely missed me for the last couple of weeks !! :lol: And here is the reason why. The 34th International Kolkata Book Fair. Book fairs has always been my true home. For some reason unknown to me I always coveted being in them. (This is my nineth one by the way). So as dad came up to my room and asked me to help him out one last time this year (he always says that every single year) I jumped to the occasion.

And out went 12 days of work. The job is fairly simple. You are given a stall 400 square feet filled with books and people. You have to talk to them. Point them at the right direction and help'em out a little. Since my dad is in the business of computer books the occasion was doubly cool.

I was given the section of english computer books. Due to my little knowledge about computers and the language I always get the same post. It was fun as you can see Image (I'm the four eyed ugly thing with terrible teeth and goofy smile/laugh)

The job never gets boring, you get paid to talk about computer all day long and you also get to laugh at the "hackers" who claim to "hack" ebooks and telling their friends they don't need to buy any real ones. Or the smart asses who claim Kanitkar's C books are far more "detailed" than Deitel's. But more importantly you meet loads of cool cats who actually know or wanna know shit. I met two this year. You also get to see and some what chat up hotties interested in or studying computers :mrgreen:

Then you can always buy books and read them when the actual work is done and people are counting to see the cash is what it should be and other boring shit, as pictured here :D

Here are some pictures for the poor bums who never been to the great thing that is the Kolkata Bookfair, if you lot ever come to India try and come around 26th Jan to hit the Fair. You wont regret it.

The theme this year was Mexico. Complete with Mexican folk dancers tap dancing to beautiful Mexican tunes. Didn't understand one word of it, but it was nice none the less.

The British Counsel stall. Had a really pretty Indian girl working in it. Tried so hard to hit on her but "Time wouldn't let me go". :D

The Closing ceremony pictured to give you lot a glimpse of the usual crowd number attending the fair.

Drv
Last edited by DrVirus on 08 Feb 2010, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Those are some big pictures x)

maybe turn them into links? ; )

Not very bandwidth friendly for some of our users ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

Just noticed and immediately fixed them !! Sorry guys. I don't have much bandwidth myself.

DrV

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

DrVirus wrote:Just noticed and immediately fixed them !! Sorry guys. I don't have much bandwidth myself.

DrV
Thanks ^^

Looks nice : D

Lots of people Oo
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

wow, impressive how many people are interested in books in your country.... 8O we only have very small book fairs here, and sadly I always miss them because they only last for some hours and I read about it in the newspaper on the next day... :roll:

and thanks for posting the pics man..... :D

p.s. is that a Jim Morrison biography? ^^

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

bad_brain wrote:wow, impressive how many people are interested in books in your country.... 8O we only have very small book fairs here, and sadly I always miss them because they only last for some hours and I read about it in the newspaper on the next day... :roll:
This one is the International one. We have two international bookfairs. One in Kolkata the other in Delhil. There are also bookfairs held in every single state in India. They last about 9-10 days each. This one lasts 12 days every year. It gets special stops at public transports. A mention everyday in every single newspaper. And costs only 5 bucks to get in. It's like a festival of books.

bad_brad wrote: p.s. is that a Jim Morrison biography? ^^
Yes it is. Jim Morrison by Stephen Davis. Bought it this year in the book fair. Incredible book. Got me more interested in LSD-25. :mrgreen:. Now I'm totally a Doors fan. Got all the songs. They are INSANE.

DrV

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Great pictures DrV.

Thanks for sharing. Remember, if you are experimenting, always be a user of drugs and not a drug user. :wink:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com