anti-Virus

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Dltr
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

anti-Virus

Post by Dltr »

hi fellows ..

was looking for the most recommended Anti-virus for Linux Ubuntu..any suggestions!!

I know that i don't need an anti-virus. Every program that try modifymy system into "important" parts, like a virus or an administrative programs can't do without my permission. Thus virus are useless.

bozotheclown138

Post by bozotheclown138 »

clam-AV will work, also mainly worry about firewall for linux/unix much more important than an AV

Dltr

Post by Dltr »

bozotheclown138
clam-AV will work, also mainly worry about firewall for linux/unix much more important than an AV
you mean concentrating should i do more for a Firewall more than a Av! ya ok then make a shot which Firewall you advise me to install !

bozotheclown138

Post by bozotheclown138 »

Dltr wrote:
bozotheclown138
you mean concentrating should i do more for a Firewall more than a Av! ya ok then make a shot which Firewall you advise me to install !
yes for linux the firewall is much more important for security than an AV, haha sadly i dont use linux but on HH i try to help everyone with different kinds of probleems i dont know about and i learn some things you need to do, ummm i believe you should get used to IP tables and mess around with that (once again i cant go into detail because i dont use linux :P )

Dltr

Post by Dltr »

yes for linux the firewall is much more important for security than an AV, haha sadly i dont use linux but on HH i try to help everyone with different kinds of probleems i dont know about and i learn some things you need to do, ummm i believe you should get used to IP tables and mess around with that (once again i cant go into detail because i dont use linux)
hmm i understand !

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Ubuntu has a default firewall:
Ubuntu contains a very powerful firewall called netfilter that is part of
the central kernel program. However, it isn’t active by default, and must
be manually configured. The reason for this is that Ubuntu has no
outward-facing services. If you imagine Ubuntu as a house, you could
say that it has no windows or doors through which intruders can gain
access. All incoming connections hit a brick wall.
The ufw command can be used to configure the firewall at the
command‐line. This is relatively simple to use, but is still not as
straightforward as a GUI application like Firestarter. For more de‐
tails, see

Code: Select all

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=823741

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Dltr

Post by Dltr »

ph0bYxs and Cats ... that's really what i need,Thank you very much for replying

shabs
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by shabs »

How about using gufw? Its supposed to provide a GUI.

Shabs.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

a little addition to firewall usage on Linux systems:
a well configured system actually needs just very few firewall rules, simply because either you provide a service to the outside or not. if you don't there is no need to run that service. ok, there might be some exceptions, like running a webserver only for local use, but in such cases you can easily configure it to only accept requests from your LAN. another good example is the mysql service, many people are going nuts because they see port 3306 is listening and they assume everyone can connect to that service from the outside....but that's wrong, because mysql is only accepting connections from localhost by default.

so before setting up a firewall make sure to disable all unneeded services and to secure the needed ones first. en/disabling services manually in the config can be a little too much for beginners, but there is a nice interface for update-rc.d that makes it very easy, it's called rcconf (you most likely need to install it first via package manager).

of course you shouldn't disable a service if you don't really know if it is needed or not, but a pretty safe candidate to disable (at least on home servers) is bind9/named for example....at least if you don't want to set up your own DNS.

Dltr

Post by Dltr »

bad_brain wrote:a little addition to firewall usage on Linux systems:
a well configured system actually needs just very few firewall rules, simply because either you provide a service to the outside or not. if you don't there is no need to run that service. ok, there might be some exceptions, like running a webserver only for local use, but in such cases you can easily configure it to only accept requests from your LAN. another good example is the mysql service, many people are going nuts because they see port 3306 is listening and they assume everyone can connect to that service from the outside....but that's wrong, because mysql is only accepting connections from localhost by default.

so before setting up a firewall make sure to disable all unneeded services and to secure the needed ones first. en/disabling services manually in the config can be a little too much for beginners, but there is a nice interface for update-rc.d that makes it very easy, it's called rcconf (you most likely need to install it first via package manager).

of course you shouldn't disable a service if you don't really know if it is needed or not, but a pretty safe candidate to disable (at least on home servers) is bind9/named for example....at least if you don't want to set up your own DNS.
Oh Thanks for The Information Bad_Brain ^^ ...
And Shabs Thank You for reactivating the Topic again !

Thank You
Dltr