AMD X2 4400+ with AM2 processor slot

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
4rc4ng3L
forum buddy
forum buddy

AMD X2 4400+ with AM2 processor slot

Post by 4rc4ng3L »

Hey,
I wasnt to sure about this so i was hoping you guys could help me out. Im building a new pc from scratch and am getting the new AMD X2 4400+ processor. I was just abit confussed as i wanted a motherboard that supported that processor and also had DDR2 support and SLI. The only boards i can find around my area have an AM2 slot for the processor, some people are telling me that its not compatible with the X2 4400+ and some people are saying it is....
Im hoping you guys can tell me whether it is or isnt so i dont waste hundreds on a new processor that i cant use.

Cheers
Death is the only true freedom, brought on by our own ignorance.... Welcome to the "free" world in which we live...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, Athlon 64 X2 processors are available with socket 939 or AM2 (AM2 is the up-to-date one)... :wink:
if you want unbuffered DDR2 support you need one with socket AM2, systems based on a 939-processor don´t support it.
you should also pick the processor with the lower ammount of Watts if possible, AM2-ones are available with 89 and 65 Watts, the lower the Watts the lower the temperature of the processor...good for building a silent system..

check here for more technical data:
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx

:wink:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

From what I've read, AM2 doesn't provide a serious boost in performance gain to warrant buying AM2 hardware. And AMD doesn't gain (much) from DDR2, Intel processors really get the advantage from DDR2. So, if you plan on getting AMD go Socket 939. And if you plan on going Intel, I think Conroe is the way to go.

Besides, all 939 processors (and probably hardware) dropped during July.

4rc4ng3L
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by 4rc4ng3L »

Thanks alot guys, just the info i was looking for...
I think il go with 939 and not AM2 as the the increased price doesnt justify the increase in performance. With 4gb of normal DDR400 ram i doubt id notice the difference. AM2 hardware can be next years upgrade :wink:
Death is the only true freedom, brought on by our own ignorance.... Welcome to the "free" world in which we live...

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I went to the overclockers forums I visit a lot and did a little research and found out that the increase is about 5%. That's just not enough.

If I were you (and this is what I'll be doing) I'd skip AM2 completely and wait for the next gen architecture (after AM2).