My first wardrive.

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
Xonet

Post by Xonet »

hehe, like i posted somehere on the forum, i was repairing a laptop a few days ago, in my room i was also able to acces 2 different wireless networks, since my neighbours are real ****s i decided to use it for downloading as long as i had it.
You cant spell slaughter without laughter.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

read it again man

Post by DNR »

The police were called only because I was sitting there too long. I expected the cop would not know much about wardriving. But I could explain why I had been sitting there, I was using a wireless internet access from the library.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

BlackSun

Post by BlackSun »

Well I doubt the first thing any cop is going to suspect is !WIRELESS! Although, I would give some of them a little more credit than others. My friends dad is a police officer for his day job but he also owns a computer shop. He is one of those rare cops that would kind of need one hell of an excuse to get out it. I was stopped or... brought to a stop I was driving too slow to be stopped by a cop while wardriving. It was around 1A.M. and when he first turned his lights on I was running Linux and as he pulled up behind me I seen home coming so I turned it off. Then when he walked up and asked me what I was doing I told him I was writing a paper for school about unsecured wireless in our area and that I had just turned off my laptop so it didnt distract him. I told him to give me a second while I booted it back up and I would show him how it worked. So I rebooted into windows and opened up netstumbler and explained a little to him. He was pretty interested and told me that before I do stuff like that I should phone into the police station ahead of time and let them know Ill be driving around late at night, or just do it during the day. He left and I went home.

I finally just bought a police scanner I keep under my seat that way when people call the police its reported to them over the radio and I know they are coming long before they get there. This has saved me a few times.

As far as going to the same spot all the time I dont tend to stick around the same spot for more then 2 days. I map out areas and pick the AP's that look the most interesting and Ill go back to them some other day. I try not to go to the same place more then 2 times to avoid suspicion.

I would suggest for any one who does a lot of wardriving and is afraid of the police stopping them to either come up with a really good story or, get a police scanner. You might want to check your state laws and make sure its not illegal though (as it is here). If so then youre going to want to mount it some place out of sight and only use it while youre wardriving.

I also rarely ever use peoples wireless for internet so that doesn’t require me to be specific about the places I chose. I pay $70 a month, sadly for cable with extra bandwidth so I use my own internet every chance I get so I get my money worth.

Oh yeah I havent tried this but if youre sitting in one place too long on your laptop and a cop happens to come up I would suggest using some thing like... I just thought it would be Better to use my laptop while Im not driving than driving. Dont even mention that youre using wireless. You could be playing a game for all he knows.

isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by isapiens »

Just cut his face with a shank and speed away. jk these are some good bull shitting techniques. mad props

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

cops!

Post by DNR »

I don't need a scanner (you'll get more trouble for that, than the lappie).

I sometimes get the hair on the back of my neck to stand, something telling me to "Get the f- moving" and I'll just crank up and be gone. I know I am not paranoid, because I also hang around lots of cops, and reconise normal patrol actions or them running code 2 to catch someone.
I have seen cars converge on the area where I just was. I had them race up to sit 24" off my rear bumper, like they were trying to catch a glimpse of the laptop monitor :lol:

I try to be open to the public with what I am doing, education of the public prevents prejudice. I have old ladies stop by my car window to chat while they walk to/from town. People are polite when they ask me if I am on the internet, impressed.

I am certainly stealthy when I surf the hotel wifi's or other 'not-so' free APs, I try to be short and respectful on those networks, les I piss off a sysadmin that might set a trap for next time.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

BlackSun

Post by BlackSun »

Yeah the biggest problem I could see would be running into a honey-pot. Then you seemingly surf for free then, but a week down the road every action you made was logged and now they know what their weaknesses are, and they have been fixed. But then again if you arent smart enough to encrypt your WAP, you probably arent even going to know what a wireless honey-pot is.(hotels may be a different story considering it would be too hard to encrypt for their patrons to use for 'free' wifi, they may know a lot) I can understand though, its one thing to just use some one network for browsing the net. Sure they may pay for bandwidth but its not as big of a deal if you are just checking emails or surfing the web. On the other hand if you are downloading 2 gig files thats pretty harsh and disrespectful. it all comes down to being an 'ethical' hacker. Know your ethics and respect that people dont know as much as you when it comes to technology and thats no reason to take advantage of them. Thats reason enough for you educate them and help them understand the risks they are facing. If you live by a solid ethical and moral code, chances are you aren’t going to get in trouble and you really have nothing to worry about. Like DNR said, if the time and place permits be completely honest and respectful and 99% of time youre going to get it back.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

BlackSun wrote: It all comes down to being an 'ethical' hacker. Know your ethics and respect that people dont know as much as you when it comes to technology, thats no reason to take advantage of them. Thats reason enough for you educate them and help them understand the risks they are facing.
It couldn't be said better.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

gogeta70 wrote:
BlackSun wrote: It all comes down to being an 'ethical' hacker. Know your ethics and respect that people dont know as much as you when it comes to technology, thats no reason to take advantage of them. Thats reason enough for you educate them and help them understand the risks they are facing.
It couldn't be said better.
I Agree 1000% With The Both Of You. :) I Love Teaching People What I Know About Computers :twisted: :evil: !
If Man Made It Man Can Crack Or Hack It & If You Want To Be A True Hacker You Need To Keep Your Mind Open And Always Be Willing To Learn
[img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9996/chaos19862ub.png[/img]