Linux keylogger

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
ayu
Staff
Staff

Linux keylogger

Post by ayu »

You might think that this would fit better in the hacking category, but I don't do this for the intention of hacking.

Anyway, I'm looking for a keylogger that will run on a Linux system with a 2.6.x kernel. I found another one called vlogger, but it doesn't seem like it wants to compile on a 2.6.x kernel for some reason (I think it was made for 2.4 as it works as a module). I am going to place it on my server so it would be nice if it could log both keystrokes from the keyboard and keystroke data from SSH (like vlogger can).

If it makes a log file or sends the data doesn't matter, but I would prefer if it could just make a log file since sending it would be more of a hassle.

Anyway, any tip on another keylogger or any tip on how to make vlogger work (from thc.org) would be appreciated :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, what keystrokes are supposed to be logged? bash shell ones or the ones made in a GUI?
for the bash ones there is already a log: /userhomedir/.bash_history , also check man script.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:hm, what keystrokes are supposed to be logged? bash shell ones or the ones made in a GUI?
for the bash ones there is already a log: /userhomedir/.bash_history , also check man script.

Well, say I login through SSH to my server (GUI = NULL on my server of course), and I want the keylogger to log what I write there, specifically the login details. The vlogger can detect sensitive data like when you login over SSH and grab the details, which I think is interesting, and I want to try it out.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, ok....can all be done via the logs, except the passwords in clear text.
to check the logins:

Code: Select all

last -20
shows the last 20 logins for example, and what has been written in a shell is stored in .bash_history.

but I found this one here, should run on 2.6 kernels:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ttyrpld/files/

:wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

hmm, capturing through tty .. I'll try that one!

Thanks b_b! :D