Book report

...let us know what you think, free speech!
ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Book report

Post by ph0bYx »

Hey guys!

Any literature fans around? I have to make a book report for my english exam. Now the problem is that I don't know much english books other than the technological ones :D

Sure I'll search around for one, but I was hoping someone here can recommend one. The book should be around 100 pages long. My professor recommended The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Cheers!

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

just go with the Lord of the Rings, watch the movie, write some crap and voila. done :)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

1984 by George Orwell, one of my favorites... :)
ok, as pocket book it has about 300 pages, but in "regular" book size it should be about half...it's also very nice to read, so you don't have to force yourself, simply because the story is very arresting. and well, there is a movie too... :lol:
Last edited by bad_brain on 29 Jun 2010, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

I forgot to mention, I dont read books XD well not literature anyways.

I only read the books I need to study for my exams, and even then I just need to read em once XD
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

1984 will be perfect for you... :wink: I am also not much of a book reader (besides technical books of course), but I have read 1984 already 4 or 5 times. imo it's THE classic everyone should have read once in his life....of course you can watch the movie too (it's really a good one), but of course no movie can beat the cinema inside your head when reading a book...:)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

"Where the Wizards Stay Up Late"

Write about how Licklider's dream of man and machine symbiosis has come true...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

If you want to stay techy - Read Microserfs by Douglas Coupland, or jPod by him also. Both are techy.

Also recommend Confessions of an Economic Hitman, if you're into conspiracy at all. Written by John Perkins. Other than that, most of my readings are business/tech related - usually at an intersection of the two genres.

JohnB
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by JohnB »

"Of mice and men" - would be perfect.
Sprich mit mir!

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Big-E wrote:Also recommend Confessions of an Economic Hitman, if you're into conspiracy at all....
HAHAHA, and if you're NOT into conspiracy YET reading this book will help you on your way :D
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

ok as this is for an English exam the first thing to do is look for a book where you will have to explain the meaning. The idea is to translate the book into the real meaning so using a tech book wouldn't really be a good idea. The book should be something you can explain so that everyone can understand your interpretdation.

The two books that stand out to me so far that have been mentioned above that i remember studying for my English exam are '1984' and 'Of Mice and Men' but the one i would reccomend if you havent read it already is another book by George Orwell which is called 'Animal Farm' which is based on the Russian Revelution.

Here is a summary so you can decide to write your own or read the book to see if this is something that interests you. This would also be a good choice as most people learn about the revelution at some point in school so others would be able to interpret exactly what you mean instead of speaking jargon so that they really dont have a clue what you are talking about even in leyman's terms.
good luck buddy and happy reading :wink:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

Well if you want something good read which has a lot of meaning to write about I suggest The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I do believe everyone can relate to the main character of the story. After all it's about following your dream through thick and thin. We all can relate to that can't we ?

DrV