Why mathematic is important.

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Why mathematic is important.

Post by Nerdz »

Hi everyone!

I've been learning about computer programming since I was in high school. One thing that I do remember is that when I was in school, I wasn't paying too much attention to my math class. When I got to college, I had to do calculus in order to go to the University. Once again, I was just learning the technique on how to do something and wasn't interested in the "Why" are we doing it this way...

I've often had discussion with my buddies about why we were learning calculus and linear algebra. I mean, we were able to program software and we didn't require high level of math...

Well, this was true until I got to the University. I learned that, like I was told before, being a good programmer is not about writing code. It is about taking a problem, breaking it into smaller problems and finding a solution to each of those. However, not all problems are trivial. Some of them depends on logic and others, on complex equation.

Because we are programmer, we are by definition "Lazy". We don't like to do useless stuff, and sometimes reinventing the wheel is not what we want. Of course, we can argue that by building stuff by yourself, you understand every bit of the problem/solution... But sometimes you should not need to take this path to understand it.

So because we are lazy, we can search on the Internet for existing solutions that can solve some of our problems. You search the web, and suddenly, you discover an article about a subject that meet your needs. You start reading it... The abstract part is pretty easy... and then you get to the flesh and bones of the technique they used. It implies lot of "Integration", "Statistics" and "Linear Algebra". And they are not kidding... The problem here is far from finding the average of the grade for a student X.

So now, you start to realize that math is everywhere. Of course, building most of the non-complex software might not require high level of math... But if you want to do some R&D or simply try the new techniques out there and maybe optimize them, you need to understand how they did it and, more importantly, WHY they chose this method instead of that one...

Don't forget, it's never to late to learn new stuff and it's not a shame to not know something.

As a reference, I found this website not long time ago. The work of this guy is really impressive and if you want to learn/refresh some math subject, it is a pretty good place:

Code: Select all

http://www.khanacademy.org/
Oh and... How did I found out that I need more knowledge about math...? When I tried to understand this

Code: Select all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_Dirichlet_allocation
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Re: [In progress] Why mathematic is important.

Post by Lundis »

Donald Knuth's book series "The Art of Computer Programming" is full of advanced math. A lot more than I expected, it's really hard to keep up with only high-school maths. So.. I would recommended readings it as it's dealing exactly with:
if you want to do some R&D or simply try the new techniques out there and maybe optimize them, you need to understand how they did it and, more importantly, WHY they chose this method instead of that one...

Edit by Nerdz: Context:) and thanks for the typos!

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Re: [In progress] Why mathematic is important.

Post by floodhound2 »

Mathematics, its important in my humble opinion because its everywhere and can be a powerful tool if one knows how to apply it.

I was taught math at the University and did not understand why I needed to use it or how to use it at first. I Kept asking in my head, why do I need to learn this stuff? Well when I got my first job as a tech I quickly realized that it was the holly grail.

Being able to apply mathematics to solve complex or simple task save my boss money and time.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

3lackheart
forum buddy
forum buddy

Re: Why mathematic is important.

Post by 3lackheart »

thanks i am goinn to university next month and will now be surely more serious in mathematics........ *thumb*

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by leetnigga »

Mathematics is very useful and cool indeed.

I have been reading about theoretical computer science in the book Introduction to the Theory of Computation by Michael Sipser. It's really useful I think to understand the theory behind the things that you use in programming, and computing in general. What's behind regular expressions for example, or the the meaning of P vs NP. That's theoretical computer science.

Personally I want to learn more about mathematics and study it because it allows you to gain a deeper understanding of so many interesting things, such as physics, astronomy, psychology, economics, game theory, biology, evolution and forensics.

I want to learn more about programming and computers as well, but mostly I want to get into one of those other fields and use my math and programming skills to accomplish things there.

C0d3 5We3P

Post by C0d3 5We3P »

thanx for posting that. im in college right now and seeing that mathmatical problem in wiki really taught me something. If I want to be a hardcore progammer and a Badass math Wizz...I gotta learn all sorts of math. Thanks man...Math wasnt me favorite subject but to learn to be the best, you gotta learn to be observent. That equation in wiki is NUTS!!!! I never a problem like that...it was like learning a Alien language. I guess I really need to pay attention to math from now on. Math II...here I came. Calculus...Here I came. thanx =D>

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Calculus is where the cherry is. I think its the ultimate eye opener and makes the world open up to new heights.

I personally use Algebra more than any other form of mathematics in every day on the job problem solving.

If you need some help in math PM me and Ill do my best. But keep in mind that I am a bipolar type of teacher. :lol:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Sizn

Post by Sizn »

I totally agree, Maths is integral to everything. However, if you really want to get more knowledgeable in Maths ,instead of learning what to do, learn how and why you do it.

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

I blame the school system. They don't make it exciting or fun like say Chemistry (mix it together and hope for the best :lol: ) I had several different teachers told the class "you'll never use this stuff in your life" bullshit, you need math to build a house, figure car payments/interest. I wasn't very good at math in high school and I'm paying for it now in college.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

There for a while I was trying to stimulate a math league that packed football sized stadiums with 60 thousand people watching with the best halftime shows. Monday night math bowl. lol Peoples priorities are all fucked up in my opinion.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

At times like this i wish we just had a simple like button [-o<
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I agree they did not make it too exciting in school. I could look at the stuff in the books but it did not make sense. However when I could apply it to everyday things, things that I knew it managed to get a lot easier and a lot more fun.

CedricEllis
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by CedricEllis »

I am a certified mechanical engineer. Do you know what helped me in my four years of university? Mathematics. From simple multiplication, addition, subtraction, and division to complex numerical problems, mathematics helps a lot. This subject helps you in many ways. Even if you begin a low-level business, the basic math information is enough for you to succeed. Do you need any kind of help regarding mathematics: https://mytutorsource.com/blog/how-mts- ... thematics/
Above all, math helps you to develop a skilful mind. This is because math problem-solving involves case studies, word problems, etc., that present you with real-world examples. And through the application of your skills, only you can perform the solution. Hence, fingers crossed why math is important.