This is why i hate MS-DOS

Problems? Post here...
IcEmAn052

This is why i hate MS-DOS

Post by IcEmAn052 »

Okay so in past month or so I have been trying to BIOS after like a 5 month break and for some reason when I try to get the command.exe up it pops for like 1 milli second then exits it. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

you have to:
- add the path of the .exe file to the PATH-variable in the environment variables
or
- put the .exe file into an already existing path (system32-folder for example)

this will solve your problem, but I don't understand what you mean with the BIOS-thing.... :?

IcEmAn052

Post by IcEmAn052 »

.. NETBIOS. It is a way to hack into peoples computers using MS-DOS. I am testing it out on the wargame server. Oh and it is the NBTSTAT.exe that I can't do it with. And wtf is a PATH-Varible Enviroment.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Click Environment variables.

the Path-variable includes the paths to directories where command line apps can be found, like the system32-folder for example (the system32-folder includes all the apps like ping, netstat, etc.). simply edit this variable and add a path if needed, when you install Perl for example you need to add the path to the Perl bin-folder.
:wink:

sternbildchen
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by sternbildchen »

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Click Environment variables.
If you cant find that. ^^ (I'm too stupid for. :D )
You can go to the command line (cmd) and tipp:

path=c:\windows\command (or whatever u want)
path (shows up the already set paths)

d10b

for some reason

Post by d10b »

it sounds like he's clicking start>run and typing a dos command or program there, it's running and then closing. you should type cmd and then the dos window will stay open for you to run nbstat.exe or whatever you want without the window closing. i dont know why i think this after reading all this but...
``The true voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes``

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I have to agree with d10b, that was my first impression :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ummm, right......well, I never start terminal apps this way (only GUI-ones like services.msc, diskmgmt.msc, msconfig or regedit), I have a shortcut to console in the quickstart-list....thats's why I understood it in a different way... :lol:
btw, I really can recommend console for anybody who works often in command prompt, everything is easily configurable and it has some useful options like the copy&paste with the mouse, configurable windows size (not restricted like in command prompt) and even opacity is possible....can be found in the downloads.. :wink:

d10b

Console?

Post by d10b »

Is console some type of windows DOS-shell? I'll google it :)
``The true voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes``

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

no d10b, it's just like an interface to the usual command prompt which adds some extra functionality, it is depending on command prompt and not able to run on its own... :wink:

I made a screenshot, check here

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

console 1.42

Post by DNR »

-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.