Dead Man's Switch

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Raz0r
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Dead Man's Switch

Post by Raz0r »

A dead man's switch is a software then when activated wipes your entire hard drive.

Does anyone here has an idea of how this works ? (I mean in depth)
and are there anymore programs that can format your drive at a specific time,if so please list them.
I can use all the shells,so now I can finally hear the ocean

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: Dead Man's Switch

Post by DNR »

The computer has a clock, so most "deadman's switches" are based on time. If the owner does not enter in a code before a time expires, the computer assumes the owner is dead, and thus activates 'the final plan' the owner had intended.

Another deadman's switch is via login. If you do not hit the proper set of keys after logging in, the computer assumes again, the owner is not present, thus executes.

With RFID tech being cheap, another deadman's switch is available. A chip is worn on the owner, when he moves out of range of the computer, the computer again, assumes the owner has left, correctly. The computer can just merely re-enable login to protect the console, or start a count down ..to oblivion...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Raz0r
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Raz0r »

Oh.......... thanks Mmmm......I should try to make one of my own mm......

lykos
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by lykos »

I think that the bluetooth route and the re-enabling login rout would be worth checking out for sure. Are there also switches that when a password is entered incorrectly a certain number of times the hard drive is deleted?

~[Lykos]~

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

If I am not mistaken I believe bleach bit is a program that can do this. I have not looked too much into it yet. but the time is growing near where I need to.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I just encourage people to create an organized file system.

granted the storage media you keep files on its important, but the real threat is the machine you use for browsing the internet. That is two separate zones you need to plan for, separate security layers, policies and procedures. (storage media - USB sticks, SD cards, external HDD/SSD)

I mention this as new people get too focused on a single app or file location. Its not the tool, but the entire thought process toward security of the machine, the network, and the files. if you use a large view of your computer and networks, its files - you will develop better strategies, long range plans, and many levels of security and redundancy. You are better than any app.

and certainly you better be using a smart sysadmin setup for your current files - you do not keep your important files on your browsing machine (how many fuckin times will I say it?) Your browsing machine should be treated as expendable and easily reloadable. This is the first machine you will want to wipe in the event of a 'compromise'. Your browsing machine will reveal too much detail about what you were doing. Your stored files should already be encrypted (harder for viri or malware to infect eh?).

Always act like they are coming for you today.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Raz0r
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Raz0r »

You can always count on DNR to give the finishing touches to the cake.