Web based operating systems

All about creating websites!
jneaod
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Web based operating systems

Post by jneaod »

I want to build my own web based operating system. I would like a list of things i would need to know to build one. I just want a client based one i dont want one that is connected to a server at all. Basically i want it to be able to do everything that say linux can do (on the desktop side) but be able to load it off of a jump drive. It is just a project to help me learn client-side web development. Thank-you.

Please include how each language will help me and the capabilities of each. Thank-you.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Jneaod, i'm not really sure what you're trying to say here... What is a 'web-based operating system'? As far as i know, an operating system is something that runs your computer, giving you access to all the peripherals and components connected to your computer, in a friendly, high resolution graphical user interface.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

jneaod
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jneaod »

http://www.youos.com/html/index.html?mode=demo

I want to write something similar but just on the client side for now.

Basically i want to be able to open my html file and be able use it like the link uses theirs.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, you'll have to have it server side, as that's what it's meant for. However, you don't have to make a sign up form. Anyway, you'll need PHP and HTML and MySQL, most likely. You'll need to know some pretty advanced php: File uploads, Writing files, hack protection. Have you ever accidentally hacked yourself? I have. So... read, read read! And ask questions when necessary... I do like where you're going with this, you're doing the opposite of script-kiddy stuff...

jneaod
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jneaod »

Thanks. Anyway i have a server with 100webspace.net and I made an html document for practice. When i put it on my server and tried to go to my website it displayed the directories (like if you did a file search on your computer). Why did it do this?

jneaod
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jneaod »

Nerver mind, I figured it out.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

do you have a server or just webspace? if it's a server and you need some help with securing it let me know, the default settings are usually very insecure (no firewall, service banners give too much info, etc.)... :wink:

jneaod
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jneaod »

Its just a webspace. I put this in my code

<?
echo "Hello";
?>

but it didnt do it. Why?

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Could be several reasons:

make sure the file that it's in has the suffix .php
try using <?PHP (it's more proper and calls for faster script operation)
does the server support php?

jneaod
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jneaod »

It was an error on my part. My file was called index.php but it saved as index.php.txt and now i fixed it. I am just getting started with it and once i get it up the way i want i'll let you guys know. If i have any questions ill let you know. THANKS!

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Yep, have fun!

jneaod
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jneaod »

I know i probaly shouldnt do this but i want to block those stupid flash ads on my webhosting, because they take up space. Does anyone know how to do this with javascript or php. Everybody that helps me with this big project gets their own spot on the developers section.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Yeah, give me the url to your website so i can see how they added the flash.

jneaod
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jneaod »

jneaod
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jneaod »

I need 2 things done inorder to make a big improvement. First i need to make a custom menu for it. And second i need to be able to drag windows around "inside" the browsers page.