Suck-O's Community Project - Social Security?

Announcements and for questions/problems..
ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Suck-O's Community Project - Social Security?

Post by ebrizzlez »

Okay after much consideration and speaking to bad_brain, I have decided to create this project. Social Security is aimed to be a Hacker's Social Network meant to supplement the suck-o community. In this context, supplement means to go together, it is not intended to replace suck-o cause nothing can replace the unique individuality of suck-o's community. However, for the time being, this project is meant to bolster support and activity in the community through some serious integration.

Basically a user is given a profile, similar specs to a forum's profile: contact info, site, avatar, blurb and signature. From there a user is prompted to maintain there own page which is very similar to a blog. A user can post a blog and upload files. Supported files range from binaries, scripts, whitepapers, videos and images. Each post, essentially anything you submit to the site, may be linked to a forum. The site will have a BBCode generator that generates BBCode links so you can copy and paste each post or a description and link to an upload to suck-o's forum.

Of course users are may interact with each other through comments and messages, and also manage projects using a wiki.

Now the most interesting and fun part of this project is that we want you, the suck-o community member, to become involved in any part you can. We are looking for beta testers and web designers. Of course anyone part of suck-o is a part of the beta testing since its open and free to anyone. :lol:

However we cannot get started until we have a template, so if anyone is a good web designer and can design us a template, please feel free to submit one. We will need a varying degree of templates and all designs are welcomed. This site will be made in the image and yearning of your request, since it is made for the suck-o community this site should best reflect some of suck-o's ideals.

The platform will be coded in Python using web2py so security will not be much of an issue, and along with web2py we will be using jQuery scripts to achieve more advance functions. So if you are experienced in jQuery or web2py please let us know. If not we still help creating templates to use for the site, along with banners, and other fun stuff. If you have any ideas of your own please submit them, I will reiterate this site is meant for the community so please do not be shy with constructive criticism. *thumb*

~ Cheers,
EbRiZZlez
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Re: Suck-O's Community Project - Social Security?

Post by maboroshi »

I highly support this I will be involved in the development I highly recommend others get involved to. We need a template so join the fun.

*cheers

Maboroshi

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I know you will need HEAVY moderation to monitor the site, newbies and skiddies need parental direction to control the vision of the forum - so it does not turn into a criminal enterprise to dump CC's and logins or a freakshow of egos.

Do it, and lets run it.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by l0ngb1t »

mmm well am not experienced in web dev, but am trying to learn python and web2py...
can i participate as it can help me to learn, i may be able to propose some ideas maybe...
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

We are currently composing a roster for the project at the moment. It is closed-source atm, until we can find a dedicated server that we can all work on. Once we get the development server going you can connect and help us with the site's internals(web2py). However you are more than welcomed to help us out with the sites template, design, text, ideas, and jQuery scripts. We can't make it open or "community" sourced yet however since the site will be hosted on donated servers that have other projects hosted on them, we do not want to interfere with development on other servers and we will anticipate a heavy load so we will consider on purchasing a dedicated server. :-99

However we will notify you when we do purchase the dedicated server so you can join our development team ;]

trickb0x
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by trickb0x »

I guess I'll be the first person to say I'm not so enthusiastic about this proposal. I see a lot of sites jumping on the "we need our own facebook" bandwagon but many of them don't have an actual need for a service like this. If this effort would be put into something else like writing new tutorials, building some cool tool, etc it would probably be a more effective use of time.

Of course, if everybody wants this we should do it I'm just putting in my two cents.

Broken Angel

Post by Broken Angel »

It's nothing like a FACEBOOK of our's kinda stuff as far as the reading and the Idea got into me. It is a good one and to be frank it will definately be better and more members can spend time and learn loads of stuff with it. Tutorial writing is awesome thing and the best will be having a Video Lounge as Eb already mentioned to me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This was the thing I was waiting for. But hey Would like to add in here that lets not just concentrate on the intermediary tutorials for members like me who know very less but want to know a lot about anything and everything.
:-({|= and m really excited to see how ppl make use of having a BLOG thru Suck-o and image gallery and all that stuff.

That's a load of **** in one bundle and making it as interactive as possible will be the best thing that one can have. Using other Social Communities what I feel is the lack of having more control over the things that represent me or are related to me. :-s Nothing bright but simple and easy so that more and more members can use it.

Moderating might be a big issue as DNR sire mentioned and it might turn out to be a headache but this don't mean we have to stop ourselves form doing it 8)

What I would like to see in there shall also be a bit of online gaming stuff like not hardcore gaming but some cool Flash based gaming so that members are glued upon ;) ](*,) and yeah pls let us have tamper data on it :| :arrow: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ](*,) [-X :arrow: 8O :arrow: :mrgreen: and yeah some thing like points and rep for good posts on blogs or imaging thing. I can capture beautiful images and I would love it ppl rep me for that (Hope you are getting my point), like a general rep system for and by the members?

All these talks and m not much of a help either Hope to do as much as I can.
God Bless for this one and Congo to all suck-o members...! We Will Rock It...!

=D>
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

I love your ideas BA. Especially the online gaming and rep, we were planning on something similar. Basically the site will have an app section where users can build there own apps and add it so all others members can play. I was thinking of setting up a gaming section to help organize and setup lan parties and other online gaming events. However I like your idea about flash games as well, we will keep this in consideration.

The site itself is made to promote tutorial writing; along with video tutorials. We are planning on developing an OpenCourseWare part of the site, where users can submit there own courses. Courses will consist of videos, pdfs, and exams. Upon a completion of a course, a user will be awarded a certificate (something similar to a badge). Users will be rewarded for posting material under tutorials, each tutorial posted will gain them 1 point. We are working on point systems and what they should be called and how should they be distributed.

Any other ideas are appreciated. *thumb*

~Cheers,
EbRiZZlez

Broken Angel

Post by Broken Angel »

Well we can make a theme for the games section like Gladiator Lounge and thus we can name points as HELMETS :wink: The more Helmets means a better Warrior meaning better player in this context :-$

About the tuts and course thing it is awesome really superb like anything I am already loving it to the core. Will contribute a lot with PEN TESTING and stuff :D :-k

Points from tuts and videos can be named Conquests (the idea is when someone writes a tut on something he/she is almost knowing everything about it). So a good tut will lead to a Conquest leading to a +1 point. Making more and more tuts will earn more and more Conquests and thus having a fixed number of conquests the person can be named the Prince or something like that???

Lol...! Hope you like these too :P

-Broken Angel

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

I need to speak to b_b about a point system, because while a point system will show true patronage of each individual, it will make some users more competitive and submit bashful comments and prodigal material.

I was thinking more towards rep or contribution points. :-99

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

Idk if points are necessary, you'd be able to see everything the user has done / is doing when you check his/her ( :)) profile page anyway. Let's not have a top contributor list or something like that.

We could show new courses/tutorials/stuff together with old ones on the front page (assuming we'll have one) to not make old material disappear into nowhere.

Broken Angel

Post by Broken Angel »

ebrizzlez wrote:I need to speak to b_b about a point system, because while a point system will show true patronage of each individual, it will make some users more competitive and submit bashful comments and prodigal material.

I was thinking more towards rep or contribution points. :-99

Yeah to some extent you are right but not fully I agree with you because posting Bashful Comments and Prodigal Material will end them up in bad situation :-k a Ban may be...?

-Broken Angel

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

Lundis has a point, and of course a ban will be necessary. That would probably be the first thing we implement. ^^

I love these ideas, keep them coming. At the moment we are setting up the development server so all can join in, however until than I will be working on a backend of the site locally. *thumb*

Broken Angel

Post by Broken Angel »

Lundis wrote:Idk if points are necessary, you'd be able to see everything the user has done / is doing when you check his/her ( :)) profile page anyway. Let's not have a top contributor list or something like that.

We could show new courses/tutorials/stuff together with old ones on the front page (assuming we'll have one) to not make old material disappear into nowhere.

Arrrr.... it's not like top contributor or something mate it's like just points. For a bit of inspiration to do more and more good work. Nothing special about them for now, No privileges and stuff no nothing just to be self satisfied that ppl are recognising and sppreciating the work. Like a THANK button. #-o Now I got it right. Thank button. Cause ppl are lasy enough to post a reply or comment but all they can do is simply click on the +REP or THANK button so show how many ppl like that post or like the work of the person on a whole???

-Broken Angel

Broken Angel

Post by Broken Angel »

Anything up and new about it?? How is the project going on frnds?

-Broken Angel