E-reader

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

E-reader

Post by isapiens »

Sup Gang,

I am thinking about buying a E-reader.

Anybody got any thoughts on this.

My main goal is to be able to put my pdfs into it without any format problems. I dont buy my pdfs... I dont really care about browsing the internet too much. That is why i dont want to buy an ipad or smth similiar.

Let me know what you own and if there is any special about it.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Re: E-reader

Post by floodhound2 »

I have seen some and reading was easy on the eyes. I also want to get one so please people chime in. I have been reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ok_formats
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I'll start by saying tablet PC's are shite for e-reeding. The reason behind that is they have a back lit display, like a computer, and so are susceptible to glare and eye strain... e-readers on the other hand often use 'e-ink' which looks and feels a lot like paper on the eyes so you can read for a long period without the strain, and glare.

Next, I have an Amazon Kindle and I love it. I've had it for going on three years now, and it handles PDFs without issue... mostly. Occasionally you get one that is formatted like crap, and it looks like crap. I buy some books from the amazon store, and they are delivered over 3G, or wireless; or you can download them directly to the device.

Battery life is amazing, and it is a fairly resilient piece of hardware, I would say get a case for it though to protect the screen when shoved in your backpack. Customer service was also fantastic. On the way back from vacation my kindle stopped working, it was about 2 years old at the time, I called Amazon and they overnight shipped me a new one with no hassle. I returned the broken one in the package that the new one came in.

I have the DX model, sometimes I wish I had gotten the smaller one... but that really a matter of preference I think.

Mabs has a nook, I think he did a review on it here. I'd be interested to hear what he thinks about it almost a year after purchase.

In closing, I love my kindle and recommend it as an e-reader to anyone looking for one.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Second the Amazon Kindle. I've got the second edition. It's gotten me back into reading. Read through about 4 books and on my fifth. As long as you turn Wifi off it will last about a month on a single charge. At least that's how long it lasted for me for the first month (got it the first weekend of May).