Networking Help

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Broken Angel
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Networking Help

Post by Broken Angel »

I bought myslef Networking Bible for some good read by Barrie Sosinsky and while going throught the first chapter itself I got stuck to a point, the book says:

well the topic is Physical Topologies
With a single link, a permanent point-to-point mesh topoligy between nodes is the simplest arrangment that exxists and the most impractical. To service n endpoints would require 2(n+1) connecctions, which for any large network would require an unstoppable infrastructure of permanent connections. Most poit-to-point networks, like the telephone networks are switched, elimination the need to have point-to-point connections between every node.
Now this whole part was out of my mind.... Mind pls telling me what is the Author talking about in here pls?

Fanks in adv :P
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Re: Networking Help

Post by lilrofl »

In Mesh topology every computer has a line connection with every other computer on the network. so if you have 6 computers on a network, computer 1 has a cable running to computers 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, and so on down the line

Unlike star topology where all 6 computers would have 1 line each running to a switch in the center, or bus topology where one line would run as a backbone with branch lines connecting each computer to the branch.

Mesh topology, as you can probably see, needs a cable per computer -1... and this can be a lot of cable if you have a lot of computers.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]