IIS 6 on Windows 2003 Server

DON'T post new tutorials here! Please use the "Pending Submissions" board so the staff can review them first.
ayu
Staff
Staff

IIS 6 on Windows 2003 Server

Post by ayu »

Title: Installing Internet Information Services on Windows 2003 Server

Description: I am taking a lot of notes now during my little experiments, so I thought I might as well add some stuff here.
This is nothing very hard, but it might help someone who is just starting out with Windows Server 2003, and needs some hints on how to do this.

Assuming you have Windows 2003 Server already installed, this is how to do it.

1: Press "Start", and then "Manage Your Server" (in a default installation this should be at the top of the Start menu).

2: The "Manager Your Server" window should have appeared, now press "Add or remove a role".

3: In the window that pops up, just press "Next"

4: Now you should be presented with a list of roles. Choose "Application server (IIS, ASP.NET)" and press "Next"

5: In the next window you will be asked if you want to install "FrontPage server extensions" and to "Enable ASP.NET", so if you want these then select them, but in this tutorial I will choose to not install them, as my experiment in this case did not require them to be present. Now press "Next".

6: You will get a page with a small summary of what you have selected, just press "Next".

7: The server should now be installing, this might take a few minutes. When the server has finished, it will tell you that your server is now an "Application server", now just press "Finished"

8: Now you are all set! Now, if you go to http://127.0.0.1/ you will see the default page that is displayed on the server.
To change this, you can go to "C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/" and either change the "iisstart.htm" or add a "default.htm" file where you put your HTML (I recommend to remove the "iisstart.htm" file as it's ugly to use it).

There, that's about it :)

As you might have noticed in the "Manage Your Server -> Add server role" there is a long list of roles that you can add to your server, and although this tutorial only briefly covers one of them, there is nothing that hinders you from play around with the rest ;)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"