Unix
No votes

Total votes: 12

jneaod
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Windows Vista

Post by jneaod »

I am a linux user and also a windows user, mainly because on my linux partition i cant get internet to work so i use windows for internet. Anyways to get to the point, I want to know what you guys think about windows vista. How do you think it will compare to Linux. What do you guys know of vista. Will the new firewall help secure it better that the rest of windows operating systems? Thanks.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, you can check it out for yourself, there is a torrent for it on the windows website, it'll allow you to sign up for the list of beta testers out there, but hurry, i don't know how long it'll be there. I downloaded vista, but my computer isn't vista compatible, but my laptop is... :P
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

About windows vista's security... check out my signature....

And at this point of time we cannot say anything without actually using it, let it hit the markets, and we'll see

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

if you need a desktop which looks like Toys 'r' us before christmas Vista is the right thing! :lol: there are some improvements in Vista, but I don't think they even out the bugs that will appear (and THEY WILL appear. I mean, it's MS.. :lol: ). to be honest the only improvement that really is one is that the drivers are working on application level now (and not partitially on kernel-level like in XP)...this means a problem will not shutdown the whole box any more because the process can be ended like any other external program. but well, this is nothing new, it's ripped off from *nix. the fun part is that they only implemented this feature because the Vista desktop (the Aero one) needs a lot of ressources, and to keep this work away from the CPU they had to use the GPU of the graphics card for this job.

and well, like pseudo_opcode said, nothing is 100% secure.....on DEFCON Vista was already hacked. I will keep using XP for multimedia-issues, and for the real computing stuff there's nothing better than Linux anyway.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I think it is a nice O.S. I am running it on my 32 bit system and it seems fine so far. I know it has the looks and feels of Linux Fedora. I also noted, or it appears to me, that there is the ability to now read Linux files as well and MAC files while running Vista. I like the gadget pane but I am not impressed with the gadgets yet. I can stand all the security alerts that you get every time you start up the OS. It is like I get spammed by the firewall and driver config application. It seems stable and more robust than XP but it is a tad bit slow on my pumped up 32 bit system. Perhaps now I must go 64 bit and call it good.

PEACE
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ