Is This A Good Buy

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Chaos1986
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Is This A Good Buy

Post by Chaos1986 »

http://tinyurl.com/ojhvg
I Don't Care That It Has Shared Video Memory Other Then That Is It Good? :twisted: :evil:
If Man Made It Man Can Crack Or Hack It & If You Want To Be A True Hacker You Need To Keep Your Mind Open And Always Be Willing To Learn
[img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9996/chaos19862ub.png[/img]

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

I'd Image buy it.

Just my opinion. Anyone have any thoughts?
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

My experience with best buy hasn't been good. One time, i bought a 512mb stick of ram there, it cost 136 dollars. I looked up the same stick on newegg(brand, pc3600, etc) and it only cost 40 bucks. This laptop costs 500 dollars, let's look at it's specs:

Code: Select all

512 Mb RAM
256 Kb L2 Cache
1.8 Ghz AMD Sempron 
1.6 Ghz FSB (Note that they say "up to 1600 fsb")
Integrated Graphics card with 128 Mb shared memory
P-ATA 40 Gb HDD at 4200 RPM (slow)
DVD/CD Drive
56 Kb/s Modem (only capable of 53kb, lol)
Wireless 802.11g
10/100 Mb LAN 
Built in Speakers
Battery life unknown...

Included Programs:
Microsoft Works 8.5, Money 2006, Windows Media Player 10, Digital Image Starter Edition 2006; Adobe Acrobat Reader 7; CyberLink PowerDVD, Power2Go; RealNetworks RealPlayer; QuickTime and more
That's a 500 dollar laptop, and it's an okay deal. But i always search for my stuff from websites like newegg, which get their stuff from the manufacturer. As long as this laptop has all the features you want, i think it's fine, but note that the battery life could be poor, you may not receive a laptop with an FSB of 1600, causing you to overclock your processer, etc.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

d10b

Not bad.

Post by d10b »

Not a bad deal. I don't know about the emachines brand personally. I've been pricing laptops for a while (I really want one but dont want to pay more than $600). I know you'll pay out the ass if you have video that isn't shared memory.

Have you looked at IBM thinkpads?

Maybe you can find the same thing without all that software for less... I've also shopped a lot with newegg. You should check them out too. Very happy with everything I've bought from there; dvd-rw drive, powersupply, heat sink goop...

There's always the standard question; what do you want the laptop for?
``The true voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes``

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

oh crap.

Didn't realize it was an eMachine. Well..it's not too big of a deal..I just don't prefer this brand, myself.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

laptop shopping

Post by DNR »

The last emachine I saw was a peice of shit, some lady was trying to make it a business server. It was only meant to be a internet surfer/email computer. All that 'free' software included? So what, where is M$ Office?

Go to stores like Best Buy or OfficeMax and see what laptops have rebates, I got $200 off my $800 laptop. Its a Compaq and the Sempron chipset is nice. You'll want a USB port, a decent video card, and not-so-heavy. The idea is not to buy a $500 lappie, but a more expensive, better quality product equipped one, and get rebates. I filled mine out and it was processed in days. I really don't think you need a $1,200+ lappie.

I prefer to shop in person for a laptop rather than by internet, it is just another quick avenue for exchanging the laptop for another if you want to upgrade or exchange a buggy one, most places will give you 14 days to exchange it. Why go through the hassle of mailing it back? For repair, you'll want to go direct to the maker, like Compaq. I once called IBM for my thinkpad, and they sent me out a box with padding to mail them the laptop in a few days, I got it back in two weeks all fixed, for free!

Software packages mean nothing, you'll install your own stuff.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

I work at Staples Buisness Depot, and last week, we had a HP ahtlon 64 laptop at 999,98 and now it is 799,89. Without any rebate:) So I would suggest you to shop around bcz you could get something way better for maybe 100 dollars more. Anyway it's your decision :wink:
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

http://tinyurl.com/evdmo
What Abouth This Laptop Is It A Good Buy?
If Man Made It Man Can Crack Or Hack It & If You Want To Be A True Hacker You Need To Keep Your Mind Open And Always Be Willing To Learn

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Chaos, (and everyone else) when you have a realllly long url like that, use tinyurl, because long url's throw off the tables of the website.

Chaos1986

Sorry

Post by Chaos1986 »

Sorry About That Gogeta70. I Didn't Know! :twisted: :evil:

Chaos1986

Question

Post by Chaos1986 »

Hey Guys If I Used The Notebook For Collage, Writing Papers, Making Websites, Listening To Music, Watching DVDs And A Little Gaming Would These Specs Be Good :?:

Microprocessor Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M Processor 2200+ (1.8 GHz) with PowerNow! Technology
Microprocessor Cache 256KB (L2)
Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 256MB) at 266MHz
Memory Max Maximum Memory 1024MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 512MB)
Video Graphics ATI MOBILITY RADEON (M6) 4X AGP and 3D architecture
Video Memory 64MB DDR SDRAM (shared)
Hard Drive 40GB enhanced-IDE
Multimedia Drive DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
External Ports

Two Universal Serial Bus (USB) 1.1
Parallel SPP/ECP standard interface
One Serial
One PS/2 keyboard/mouse
One headphone-out
One microphone-in
One VGA (15-pin)
One TV-Out (S-video)
One RJ-11 (modem)
One RJ -45 (LAN

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I have to say, if you're going to be gaming at all (any memory intensive games like World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike: Source, ect.) I strongly recommend that you look for a computer with 1024 MB (1 GB) of RAM. It's pretty much become the standard (for the moment).

Personally, AGP is inferior to PCIe video cards, but I don't know how passionate you are about gaming, so I really can't make a comment. Also, you'd be better off with Video Memory that has 128MBs, but again I don't know how passionate you are about gaming.

There is a better Intel (for running a laptop unplugged and have longer battery life), but I can't remember what it was. I'll get back to you on that.

The XP line of processors are dated. Personally, I'd go with (assuming you're a AMD fan) the Athlon 64 series. If you're on a budget the Athlon 64 3200+ would be worth looking at for a base-line processor.

As for everything else, as long as it works, I'm not too worried.

Hope this was some helpful advice.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

You can't use that for gaming!

First of all, it doesn't have usb 2.0.

Secondly, 512 mb ram? No.

40 gig hard drive != good.

256kb l2 cache... yikes...

AMD is the way to go for battery life. I suggest turion 64.

128 mb minimum for a graphics card, dedicated if you have less than 1 gig of ram, else it can be integrated.

Buy something better.

evileye
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by evileye »

i suppose its a good deal. As i have something which runs at lower speeds than that. So i say its a good buy. :?
Life is just nothing but a COMPETITION;
To be a CRIMINAL rater than a VICTIM.