How to get into the wifi at starbucks

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
berisweet

How to get into the wifi at starbucks

Post by berisweet »

Ok, yes, I am a total newbie, but was hoping someone could help me with this. I asked for a laptop for my birthday, but what I got was a pocket pc with a wireless card. Which is totally cool at the places like Panera, where the wifi is free. But places like Starbucks isn't. Anyone have any ideas? The only places that are close to me is Starbucks and other places where you have to pay for the internet.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ok, I assume the OS is XP:
install netstumbler (available in the downloads) and scan for the access point. if no encryption is used you can simply add your lappy to the network by entering the network name in you WLAN network settings, and voila: you're in!
if the connection is encrypted it's no usually no problem to break the algorithm with tools like aircrack, but I recommend to search for open networks first...it's simply safer for a beginner...you'll be surprised how many open networks are available in your neighbourhood, believe me... :wink:

berisweet

Post by berisweet »

Thanks for replying, but I guess I should have been more specific. What I have is a HP Ipaq 3100 series, with Microsoft Mobile 2003, not XP. Do you think you can still help? I tried the other program and it doesn't work on my little Ipaq

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

free internet on a ipaq

Post by DNR »

the places like Panera, where the wifi is free. But places like Starbucks isn't. Anyone have any ideas? The only places that are close to me is Starbucks and other places where you have to pay for the internet.
I think I understand you. You do know how to connect to wifi with your Ipaq. I looked over the specs on your pocket pc there. Do you have the option of upgrading to Microsoft® Windows Mobile™ Version 5.0?

Technically you do have a Windows machine (it doesn't have to be XP) Not sure on the Microsoft Mobile 2003, but version 5.0 comes installed with typical MS apps, so it should run other apps written for MS OS.

Now, the question above seems to indicate that you don't want to 'pay for the internet'. You want to be a wardriver like me :wink:
Your question is 'how do I not pay for wifi at starbucks'. Well that is a crack and I am not sure that is within the scope of your skills. I think your Ipaq comes with a USB port, you could get a better antenna and plug it into the USB port, the extra range might help you pick up other free wifi, including your neighbor's. This would be easier for you. Read tutorials on wardriving.

Search the internet for more apps for your pocketpc, like pocketpcsoft.com, etc

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

berisweet

Post by berisweet »

Thanks so much, I will definately do that :D

vidoll
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by vidoll »

u can instead use ministumbler a pocket pc version by the guys of netstumbler.