MySQL Databases

Questions about programming languages and debugging
Chaos1986
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

MySQL Databases

Post by Chaos1986 »

Hey Does Anyone Know How MySQL Databases Work? I Want To Setup A Forum Board. :twisted: :evil:
If Man Made It Man Can Crack Or Hack It & If You Want To Be A True Hacker You Need To Keep Your Mind Open And Always Be Willing To Learn
[img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9996/chaos19862ub.png[/img]

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

You need to set up a MySQL server on your box.. after that, while installing boards you need to put database username and password and the address is generally localhost if you have installed MySQL server on the same computer you are installing forums on.. rest is taken care by the application....

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

Mysql works fine, Mysql is *extremely* fast - faster then the PHP rendering machine ( Zend) for example, so it gives some funny side-effects when calling insisting mysql database queries through PHP on the command line.

Unfortunately, there is no reliable GUI for administering MySQL, there's MySQLadmin but it is not like Access, really not.

PHPMyAdmin may look like it but do not install that as definitive *production release* GUI administration tool, you as k for trouble, much trouble.

One downside of MySql is that for some datatypes, records, well it accepts anything, just anything. It is Free Software so, it is quite gullible.
You'll have to do the security customisation yourself and/or deal with Mysql's 'fluffiness' when it deals with proper record sets.
For example, the VACHAR and the MEDIUMTEXT datatypes look very different but both will store whatever you want, which makes it difficult to retrieve data when you base your criteria and sorting on the field-types themselves. Yet then , you will barely have to reccur to that method, most DBAdministrators opt for the ultimate unique ID ;-)
(but this is common to all DBA-engines )

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, you can use ODBC to work with MySQL databases on MS Access:
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html
Exel, Word and VB can use this driver too for MySQL connectivity.

personally I don't work much with databases, but if I have to I use phpmyadmin (for quick changes) and do the basic stuff directly in mysql or mysqladmin (it's the only way to restore bigger databases for example because phpmyadmin has a file size limit).
and you're totally right Frank, phpmyadmin can drive you insane...while moving suck-o from webspace to the server I first used phpmyadmin to restore the db which was totally annoying...first the restore failed because the .sql file was too large (but it did all queries until it reached the limit instead of checking the file size BEFORE doing anything :roll: ) and when I tried to do the queries piece by piece I got completely bullshit errors sometimes...since then I do it directly in mysql by

Code: Select all

mysql -h HOST -uUSER -pPASSWORT dbname < filename.sql
which is a LOT faster and works fine... :)

chaos, you can find some good books about MySQL in the textfiles downloads... :wink: