pimp my netbook...^^

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

pimp my netbook...^^

Post by bad_brain »

a thread especially mr. cats might be interested in, so he can see his former netbook is in good hands and been taken care of... :)

the battery got a little old, so it was time to replace it....and hey, when already getting a new battery why not one with more than 3 times of the capacity (6600 mAh instead of 1800 mAh) of the original one? ok, it almost doubles the weight of the netbook itself, but the big battery pack also acts as stand so the netbook is not flat on the table anymore...much more comfy to type that way. :)

it should have a runtime of between 6 and 12 hours now, depending on the system load.

next on the list was the RAM. I replaced the original 1 GB CL 6 with a 2 GB CL 5 one. my Debian install is pretty lightweight with xfce dekstop environment, so the amount of RAM was actually never a problem, but why not upgrading to the max., and the decreased cache latency is noticeable in the performance.

already a little ago I did a disk wipe with DoD algorithms and installed Debian in an encrypted LVM environment:

but I might have to do another install again soon, because I am thinking about getting a SSD HDD.... :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: pimp my netbook...^^

Post by ayu »

aaah nice! I'm happy that you still have so much use for it! :D
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yep, I am using it pretty much actually! even more in winter.....I am always sleeping with the window open, so in the morning it takes about 10 minutes until the heating did its work and I can get out of bed without freezing my ass off. very nice to be able to check mails and messages with it while staying in the warm bed in that time... :lol:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:yep, I am using it pretty much actually! even more in winter.....I am always sleeping with the window open, so in the morning it takes about 10 minutes until the heating did its work and I can get out of bed without freezing my ass off. very nice to be able to check mails and messages with it while staying in the warm bed in that time... :lol:
What in the ...

Why would you sleep with the window open in the winter? ^^
Not cold enough in Germany? xD
If I were to sleep with the window open I would surely not wake up at all the next morning xD

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I am a bit of a mutant, I produce a lot of heat in bed (just ask the ladies! :lol: )....no joke, even in winter I often have to leave my feet outside of the blanket, else it would get too warm. and well, I simply enjoy the cold air... :)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:I am a bit of a mutant, I produce a lot of heat in bed (just ask the ladies! :lol: )....no joke, even in winter I often have to leave my feet outside of the blanket, else it would get too warm. and well, I simply enjoy the cold air... :)
ah ok ^^

Well I also like to sleep in a cold room, but not with the winter open and -10 degrees outside x), around 17 degrees is optimal for me.