Utterly amazed at how this forum never changes..

Announcements and for questions/problems..
TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Utterly amazed at how this forum never changes..

Post by TheScottyTurner »

Not implying that's a bad thing.. But I joined in like 2010 and it hasn't changed whatsoever..... I actually think I still see some of the same threads on the front page of their respective sub-forums lol I mean you guys are still using the same avatars! Do you guys (talking to the staff directly here) enjoy the slowness (idk a good word) of the forum? I don't want to say its dead, because it's obviously not, but it kinda is lol

Anyway, just a little rant from me...

P.S. Gl DNR is still here, there's just something about that guy, if you're reading this, a lot of respect goes out to you.

P.S.S. Sorry for any typos, on a phone.... A mobile version wouldn't hurt either, surprised no ones done it yet tbh

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Utterly amazed at how this forum never changes..

Post by ayu »

Well, there are a lot of new members coming and going.
But only the most dedicated ones stick around :)

We have a lot of side projects with the regular people here, some discussions on IRC, and some stuff only appears in the back room where normal users can't access.
We wouldn't want a flood of newbies joining, because then our casual talk would die out in the masses.

Mobile version has been discussed for a long time, but we have lives and work to take care of, so there simply hasn't been any time for it :)

PS: You joined in 2011, and the site is almost 10 years old now, so a lot actually has changed since the start :P
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Yeeaaah, okay... Jan of 2011. Point well made I guess lol
I get what you're saying about the newbies or whatever..
But seeing how most of your "casual conversation" goes on beyond closed doors or on irc... I don't see a problem in having new members, or newbs, as you continue to call them (are we still in the early 2000s)..
When I signed on this morn, there was 2 online members (one of which was me..) and 60 guest... Which brings me to another point... You're saying that everyone is just too busy? You guys can't muster the manpower (willpower, seems more likely) to work on a mobile platform... I'm not saying sign up a bunch of anons to work on the site lmao, but seriously this site is almost unusable on mobile... At least if you wish to engage in conversation...

TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Not trying to come off as an ass or anything, but.....

l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by l0ngb1t »

i kinda like it this way... not so while ago we had a post called "writing my own OS"... you don't find that on other forums.. most them are full od "hack FB" crack the neighbors wifi and that sort of shitty thing...

dead or not... they it is it rocks. only the pro's are sticking and the new guys are learning... it fulfill its purpose i guess.
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

I can't disagree with thy post. The site is perfect for what it's for.. It has a cast amount of information, and on a large amount topics. Not to forget all the people..... The community here is far superior to almost any guide you'll read.. I guess I just got taken back by the feel of the forum. When I first came back... Idk it just felt like a ghost town with 60+ guest looking for ways to hack into Facebook lol

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

making 24 posts in 3 years and complaining about not enough activity...now that's how I like it.... :P

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

bad_brain wrote:making 24 posts in 3 years and complaining about not enough activity...now that's how I like it.... :P
+1

If you ask me, and you didn't, it comes down to quality over quantity. The folk who donate their time here are a cut above the rest. You might not find out how to hack facebook here... but who really wants to do that anyway lol.

This is not a site for the point-and-click solutions (plenty of those already), this is a place for people to exchange knowledge, who cares how it looks :D

P.S. I personally like how it's only changed slightly since 2011, it's a good look; easy on the eyes and simple to search; also, that we've even been around so long is a credit to its utility.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

exactly...look at those oh-so-1337 site who have oh-so-much activity: link dumping, that's what happens there.
I can proudly say we are one of the VERY few sites who even made it to 9 years of existence, and most of the other who made it turned into commercial rip off crap (anyone checked astalavista lately? no? do it...<puke emoticon here>).
we have built a fine community here where the regulars became real friends over all the years, and of course friendships cross the borders of just interacting with each other on a single website...but in the end we all meet again here because it's our little safe haven.

since suck-o started the regulars have of course evolved too, not just in a technical sense...life in general has its twists and turns. I am of course not giving any personal info about other users, so I can only take me as example: when suck-o started I was doing my webmaster studies and been looking for customers so I can make some bucks with web dev like a wanderer in the desert looking for water, now I am dealing with corporate bigwigs and have a lot of liabilities....and for many (most) other regulars it's kinda similar, so it's only natural that fun time is more limited.

and we were never a site looking for new members in a really active way (we pretty much even give a crap about SEO... :lol:), if people find us it's usually for a reason, some stay and may also make new friends, others leave again (and come back later or not).

so don't confuse a comfy way of not having to post compulsively just for having new posts all the time with people not being active or "everyone left"....we are all very well connected in the background (many of us even do business together), and if needed we can very well turn into the proverbial hornet nest when someone pokes into it with a stick... 8)

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Try to get involved, its not such a bad experience. :-99
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

computathug wrote:Try to get involved, its not such a bad experience. :-99
+1

it's kinda like your parents house when you go into college in a different city. You come back to it and it's mostly the good old self where you can relax and feel at home :)

TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

I appreciate the feedback everybody, and I have to make it clear, I was in no way, trying to bash the site or anything... It honestly is great an the you guys (the community) make it what it is! Sorry if I offended anyone, especially you Brian!

I will do my best to stay around and post relevant stuff! I hope to see you guys around..

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

nah, don't worry, all fine.....and welcome back... :wink:

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

Us staff are like ultra rare pokemon and have evolved.

On a serious note. I've been around a long time, I lurk more than post - but that's just in my nature. It's not wholly a terrible thing when things run slow. The site changes slowly because it's important that users have consistency. Many sites tend to redesign themselves over and over, even when they get it right the first time, often resulting in lost membership due to tide changes. If you look at some of the longest lasting sites their overall look and feel hasn't changed too much. Not to mention - why try fixing something that isn't broken?

As for most core membership we all have many different methods of communication outside of the forum. Some use messengers and IRC, others have written their own and used them. Many of us have jobs, families, school, and side projects we give priority too as well. Some people come here, ask a question, and then leave. Others come and stay after realizing that we're still here and welcoming.

It's more than just a tech-related community. It's family. *thumb*