Cant update

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
ilkjester
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Cant update

Post by ilkjester »

So when my uncle gave me the abit mother board with the amd processer, he said I cant use windows update to update anything. Is this true or what? How would I go about to update it if it is true?

d10b

Download the Update.

Post by d10b »

Download the Update.
``The true voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes``

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Seems like he just found a way to "jimmy rig" the problem, and not fix it. Take it to a pc tech, or try and figure out the problem to you can use automatic updates.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

ilkjester

Post by ilkjester »

So Windows update wont hurt anything its gonna be fully compatiable with it and everything

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

No, windows isn't compatible with anything. And it won't work fine, it's made by microsoft. Otherwise, yes.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Actually if he has a pirated copy of windows the updates will not work until you figure out how to get around the lil problem. He possibly has a non-legit version CD key witch is a problem I often run into repairing computers. However it can easily be remedied by purchasing a legit CD key or bypassing the problem all together in the registry editor. Or never get updates ;(

PEACE
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Yeah if you still want the updates PM me and ill shed some light on this beast called WINDOWS…

I can have you getting updates and running smoothly again, you’ll just need to do some modifying of the existing OS. No downloading or anything just tweaking :wink:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ummm....why do you want to use the windows updater at all? :lol:
sorry, but for me it's kinda funny, I use XP too and the only update I have is service pack 1 which I got from a computer mag CD. and compared to people which have a fully updated system I have a lot less problems.....and NO, I never had any worms on my box or any other apocalyptic stuff that is supposed to happen when you're not getting the newest patches... :lol:

is sp1 or sp2 installed already? let me know and I'll give you some advice on how to secure the system like I did... :wink:

ilkjester

Post by ilkjester »

Its still service pack 1

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Ill agree, but I do prefer service pack 2. I don’t get updates and I also never had any serious problems at lest lately. I know internet explorer does get problems without updates so if you use it, be careful. I can recall a time when I went to some wired sites and my browser started downloading things without me giving the ok. It was a bit time consuming to remove but I accomplished it. I remain hard headed and never receive updates but this is just me, I need the bandwidth….

Oh I think it was called SPY SHERIFF or something. Every time I deleted it I got a new program with a different name to replace it. Thank god for the REGEDIT and common since.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

had to remove posts in this thread, I have seen the part of this thread which was against the site rules too late (thanks pseudo :wink: ), so instead of removing the whole thread I removed the posts.
ilkjester, you should know the site rules... [-X
so take this as an official warning.
personally I don't care, but I'm responsible for the content of the site so I would be the one who would get trouble.... :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

huh

Post by DNR »

If you just got the computer, you might as well, format the disk and do a clean install of the windows OS and make sure you have disk for various device drivers, like a video or sound card.

If you just have the motherboard, go find a box to install it in. I hope the mobo came in a ESD protective package :roll:

Since I am unable to further query this person, I have to assume his words "You can't update this computer" means either you don't have the required driver disks, as far as it being a bootleg copy of windows, there are plenty of new registration keys on the internet to sign in that copy, the keys are broken down to what versions of windows you have, i.e. a key for Win98 will not work for a Win98se.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

if you are unable to update windows due to fact that your copy is pirated then there are few programs available on net (e.g. keychanger) which fool updates to think that the copy is genuine.. but that is illegal and should not be done...

ilkjester

Post by ilkjester »

Ahh sorry I didnt even think of this being illegal. My first assumption was that it had something to do with amd processor or something then It got taken to the software. Sorry about that didn't mean for it to bring up illegal stuff.