Online security, administration or dev jobs

...let us know what you think, free speech!
scatter
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Online security, administration or dev jobs

Post by scatter »

Ok here is the thing, I am trying to find an online job till summer because I am saving money to finish my engineering studies in Europe or USA so I was wondering if anyone of you can advise me or guide me throught sthg like that.Most jobs offers online need physical presence and none of them is in my country because security and dev ](*,) have no importance here ( which is so fucking idiot), the other jobs some of them need certifications and I could save enough money to sit for RHCSA cert exam so the next prob is experience, many companies ask for +2 years of experience and how will I get these 2 years without a job o.O :-s
to make it short,any opinion or suggestion will be appreciated ^ ^

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Online security, administration or dev jobs

Post by ayu »

You like to keep to the tutorials section a lot.
DON'T post new tutorials here! Please use the "Pending Submissions" board so the staff can review them first.
Moved to general discussion
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

scatter

Post by scatter »

o.O I saw off topic so I posted in off topic that s why but well u know how to organize better :) sorry

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, not an easy task.....you can either look around on the usual sites like rentacoder where you have to compete with 3rd world prices, or you start building yourself a reputation by creating stuff for yourself first which you then can use for a portfolio you can show to potential customers...but that's nothing which could be done in a summer, it takes years.

what are your skills, and references and former work you can show? :-k

scatter

Post by scatter »

bad_brain wrote:hm, not an easy task.....you can either look around on the usual sites like rentacoder where you have to compete with 3rd world prices, or you start building yourself a reputation by creating stuff for yourself first which you then can use for a portfolio you can show to potential customers...but that's nothing which could be done in a summer, it takes years.

what are your skills, and references and former work you can show? :-k

not too much as a white hat who reteired grey hat hacking, I had a reward from Panda security company for reppporting a vulnerability for them and that reward was a premium product for one year and I have a thanking email from Avira for discovering a flow in their antivirus that may cause remote exploit vulnerability but they had no bug bounty so they just thanked me and asked me to run a pentest for their website ( I almost told them to fuck off when they asked for a pentest without reward :p )
the prob now is I have many vulns that I want to repport to many companies but by the end I get affraid from having a negative reaction so I just forget repporting and I move away :/

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm....to be honest I think you will not have a chance if you limit your line of work to "security only", not only because of your lack of references and contacts, but also because such jobs are simply too rare....especially for a freelancer.
to maximize your chances you should not focus on that one area and look around for "everything web dev" instead....you will surely have to start with small underpaid jobs, but once you have some satisfied customers they will start to recommend you to others (that's how it at least worked for me).

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:hmm....to be honest I think you will not have a chance if you limit your line of work to "security only", not only because of your lack of references and contacts, but also because such jobs are simply too rare....especially for a freelancer.
to maximize your chances you should not focus on that one area and look around for "everything web dev" instead....you will surely have to start with small underpaid jobs, but once you have some satisfied customers they will start to recommend you to others (that's how it at least worked for me).
Same here.
Security jobs are hard to come by and usually you have to start building your career with something else where you can show your skills within security.
I worked as a Software Engineer at a consulting company for 3 years and developed security applications and researched security during my free time.
Then one day I stumbled on a security company that liked what I had done so far.
The 3 years of experience was needed simply.

scatter

Post by scatter »

I understand what if I open a website for web design and dev? but the prob then is if I put some examples of websites I can make how to make people see it? I think starting alone won't be really effective but well I will write some scripts and post them on github and try to get some hall of fames in bug bounties etc :?:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

scatter wrote:I understand what if I open a website for web design and dev? but the prob then is if I put some examples of websites I can make how to make people see it? I think starting alone won't be really effective but well I will write some scripts and post them on github and try to get some hall of fames in bug bounties etc :?:
Stuff that you do on your free time to put on github or get into different hall of fames etc, is always a good thing.
Starting a business by yourself can be pretty hard though, and I recommend that you start with working for another company first to get some experience, and then decided where you want to go from there.

scatter

Post by scatter »

Yup I will follow that wish me good luck ^_^

Thanks for the peice of advice guys :)