IMac problems

No, not for "Mack daddies"...for Apple users...^^
DannTheMann

IMac problems

Post by DannTheMann »

Sup guys.. First post in this forum and it looks like a good forum
So Im fixing an IMac for a friend..

The IMac boots into the OS and then the keyboard and mouse loose power.. I did the whole reset power and Ctr-S to try and create a new admin but still no power to keyboard to input the commands.

I made a bootable USB to boot into Ubuntu and Everything works so Impretty postive theirs a problem with the OS .. Ive tried to make a backup of his files but it wont give me permission and ive used Chown to gain permission and tried remounting it as a RW but no solution yet.

My next step is to put a new OS disk and see if that works

Any ideas?? he would like to save some files on his hard drive but it isn't completely necessary.

Thanks \:D/

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: IMac problems

Post by bad_brain »

welcome to suck-o... :wink:

hm, never really worked with Ubuntu, leave alone Ubuntu live (I'm a Debian fanboy), what you need is hfsprogs to be installed (I am not sure if it's already onboard or not), because your permission problem is most likely caused by the HFS+ file system of Apple.

with hfsprogs you can mount the drive with rw permissions simply by passing the file system parameter, everything else works as usual:

Code: Select all

mount -t hfsplus -o force,rw /dev/sdxx /your/mountpoint/directory
:wink:

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Re: IMac problems

Post by lilrofl »

hpfprogs is not usually installed in Ubuntu default, although in the live environment it's easy enough to add with aptitude.

EDIT: oh yeah, welcome to Suck-o :)
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]