Three Headed Beast - the hacker trilogy

...let us know what you think, free speech!
f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

I'm not saying I agree with the definition, I'm just saying that IS the definition to 95%+ of people. Like I said, I could say hacker means rainbows, but that doesn't mean anyone will understand it, unless of course I explain it to them.
ph0bYx wrote:Yes, it's just a word, but we're discussing the meaning of that word. And I don't know about you, but I'm not going to let a bunch of plumber Joe's define it for me.
It's easier to just use another word. I don't understand why it HAS to be "hacker".

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Well I like the way DNR looks at the phenomenon of hacking. To me hacking is not just another activity. Hacking to me has a much deeper meaning that most other things that I do. For instance I try to do a lot of sports but I do not think about sport all the time. I go out to jog and than I am done. I do not think about it any more. With hacking it is different. I think about it like all the time. I never get tired of it. Not because I am obsessed but because I see a deeper sense in it. For instance I can sit behind a computer all day and I entertain my self, educate my self, communicate,...and I can just as well be any where in this world. I love this concept.

I have spent a lot of time on the computer and not every thing that I have done on it was good. I think what DNR said makes a lot of sense. It sounds a lot like the following quote:
"Kill off my demons, and my angels might die too..." -T. Williams. I have done black hat things but I try to do white hat things too now.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I remember the earlier days - before there was a actual word/job like "computer repair technician". People would call me 'mechanically inclined" - or try to name me for someone that is just adept at being able to look at something, and right away, understand how it works. There was no name for me then. The computer geeks back then were those obscure, confusing Electrical Engineers that nobody understood.

Then the computer age came into my life and the world got a hold of it. When computers first came out, they never worked right, you needed special people to keep them running. The first ten years of computers required adept people to keep them working - something taken for granted today. Mainstream people took the term 'hacker' as a person that sits all day at a console 'hacking away'. Maybe it was the sound of the clickity clackity of the older keyboards, they sound like someone hacking away at a plastic keyboard, esp when they hit that space bar or return key with passion. But back then, people used to call hackers with great affection - because they keep the computers and networks running.

It wasn't until after the AOL-generation started, that 'hackers' got misused by the media to describe computer criminals. All the dumbass newbies on AOL were just ripe pickings for criminals - hackers with black ethics. In truth - I am sure you agree that the correct term for those criminals was "crackers". (or phishers?) But, that was a good time as any to distance oneself from the media frenzy of hackers. Yes, the mainstream world in its simplicity misused our name, but it was an argument lost on clueless minds.

On a professional resume you put "computer network solutions provider, with a security cert" - but in the locked server room, they will call you a 'hacker' again - take that with pride. It is not a name you give yourself, it is an identity that others besow upon you.

Having the criminal side to hacking makes our situation unique. A woodworker, a steel fabricator, a person working in another field does not have the same opportunities to commit crime with their work. I suppose a wood worker or steel fab guy could make weapons, but they do not have global ramifications. The internal debate inside a woodworker or steel fabricator may not be as strong as a hacker's (a person who is completely skilled in the realm of exploiting people) own internal struggle of doing the right thing, or making a choice to do the wrong thing. A woodworker might burn down his boss's wood shop, but a disgruntled sysadmin can take down his boss's WAN.

I was more than mechanically adept, I was well read, a boy who read every book he could find, I was also into social engineering, and exploiting the rules around me. It wasn't about money all the time, but just feeding my own weakness of needing to know information. I viewed the world as my laboratory, while the world was viewing me with binoculars, I had them under a microscope. I merely learned to exploit a system whos only purpose was to exploit others for its own needs.

In my search to define myself, I came upon the three headed beast.
I mentioned it because I was just wondering if anybody met it before me.
:wink:
"Kill off my demons, and my angels might die too..." -T. Williams.
Damned if that didn't hit the same anology as the three headed beast!
DNR
Last edited by DNR on 08 Sep 2009, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

f4Gg0t_43 wrote:I'm not saying I agree with the definition, I'm just saying that IS the definition to 95%+ of people. Like I said, I could say hacker means rainbows, but that doesn't mean anyone will understand it, unless of course I explain it to them.
ph0bYx wrote:Yes, it's just a word, but we're discussing the meaning of that word. And I don't know about you, but I'm not going to let a bunch of plumber Joe's define it for me.
It's easier to just use another word. I don't understand why it HAS to be "hacker".
Like I mentioned in my tl;dr rant, "those who understand, understand", and that I only used it in the right company. In the company of other people who I think fit my definition of being 'hackers', I call myself a hacker.

To the general public, I'm just a computer nerd, because if I say hacker, they'll think something completely different from what I'm thinking.

If I define a word in one way and use it in the company of people who agree, to some extent, on the definition, then it's valid usage. If I use it in another context where no one understands my definition, then it's a waste.

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

IceDane wrote:Like I mentioned in my tl;dr rant, "those who understand, understand", and that I only used it in the right company. In the company of other people who I think fit my definition of being 'hackers', I call myself a hacker.

To the general public, I'm just a computer nerd, because if I say hacker, they'll think something completely different from what I'm thinking.

If I define a word in one way and use it in the company of people who agree, to some extent, on the definition, then it's valid usage. If I use it in another context where no one understands my definition, then it's a waste.
Fair enough

@DNR: That was a great post man. I wish I was around back then.

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

I have to say that I rather liked the analogy and the picture that DNR originally posted....hacking really is such a subjective, individualistic and personal thing and I think it serves a decent reflection of the personality and ethos of a person. I think he managed to convey that relativity quite admirably.

I personally dislike the word hacker also....just because its so...inelegant, it really is. It seems to me, too much like giving something a name simply for the sake of baptising it.

My own personal perspective is that a "hacker" is not so much a person...but a mindset that a person posseses. A hacker looks to the deeper meaning of all things, and is not content with the status quo...byt actively seeks to expand and improve themselves, and the world they live in. On that basis, I consider hackers as nothing more sinister than eletronic scholars, albeit ones that tend to use minds as well as hands in their learning and craft.
To the wicked, I am merely too knowledgeable in their ways.

Broken Angel

Dayum...!!!

Post by Broken Angel »

DNR wrote:I remember the earlier days - before there was a actual word/job like "computer repair technician". People would call me 'mechanically inclined" - or try to name me for someone that is just adept at being able to look at something, and right away, understand how it works. There was no name for me then. The computer geeks back then were those obscure, confusing Electrical Engineers that nobody understood.

Then the computer age came into my life and the world got a hold of it. When computers first came out, they never worked right, you needed special people to keep them running. The first ten years of computers required adept people to keep them working - something taken for granted today. Mainstream people took the term 'hacker' as a person that sits all day at a console 'hacking away'. Maybe it was the sound of the clickity clackity of the older keyboards, they sound like someone hacking away at a plastic keyboard, esp when they hit that space bar or return key with passion. But back then, people used to call hackers with great affection - because they keep the computers and networks running.

It wasn't until after the AOL-generation started, that 'hackers' got misused by the media to describe computer criminals. All the dumbass newbies on AOL were just ripe pickings for criminals - hackers with black ethics. In truth - I am sure you agree that the correct term for those criminals was "crackers". (or phishers?) But, that was a good time as any to distance oneself from the media frenzy of hackers. Yes, the mainstream world in its simplicity misused our name, but it was an argument lost on clueless minds.

On a professional resume you put "computer network solutions provider, with a security cert" - but in the locked server room, they will call you a 'hacker' again - take that with pride. It is not a name you give yourself, it is an identity that others besow upon you.

Having the criminal side to hacking makes our situation unique. A woodworker, a steel fabricator, a person working in another field does not have the same opportunities to commit crime with their work. I suppose a wood worker or steel fab guy could make weapons, but they do not have global ramifications. The internal debate inside a woodworker or steel fabricator may not be as strong as a hacker's (a person who is completely skilled in the realm of exploiting people) own internal struggle of doing the right thing, or making a choice to do the wrong thing. A woodworker might burn down his boss's wood shop, but a disgruntled sysadmin can take down his boss's WAN.

I was more than mechanically adept, I was well read, a boy who read every book he could find, I was also into social engineering, and exploiting the rules around me. It wasn't about money all the time, but just feeding my own weakness of needing to know information. I viewed the world as my laboratory, while the world was viewing me with binoculars, I had them under a microscope. I merely learned to exploit a system whos only purpose was to exploit others for its own needs.

In my search to define myself, I came upon the three headed beast.
I mentioned it because I was just wondering if anybody met it before me.
:wink:
"Kill off my demons, and my angels might die too..." -T. Williams.
Damned if that didn't hit the same anology as the three headed beast!
DNR

Alright this is going to be really long, annoying, random at times and well rather late (when I believe that it's better late than never). I read every post in this thread maybe 10 times before this at many different times and I felt that I should simply keep out of it no matter what.

I Quoted DNR post because I can relate to this big time I don't know if I want to start writing about this topic from this point but as I have already said it will be Random so here we go.

I am from India, many call us the 3rd World Nation and i beg to differ [-X But then the truth is that I live in a Nation which still is not very informed about how things related to Computers work (Now I mention just Computers in here because I have Quoted what DNR said and I shall move to other things as well and shall post a few Pic to show what 'Hacking' actually means to me). They don't know how keeping a simple Password might be a security flaw but they choose to be comfortable rather than safer.

How I can relate to what DNR said in this post is because when I was in my school I was 'THE ONLY ONE' who knew how to change The Desktop Wallpaper. I know this sounds lame but this was it and I was very proud of myself that I was only one who could do it and the looks that I got because of it were well... *thumb* lol... so I got into computers when people in my Country were here ^ after that I started teaching people very basic things and slowly they started using me for their benefit (comes the part where I mention the 3 Headed Beast and I considered myself as the one with the White Head).

Slowly I moved on and came to a place where I was the Co-Owner of nations very first Hacking Forum... (Came the age where everything was awesome and Orkut ruled the Social Networks), when I got to those parts of my Life Experiences (Fuck I'm in love with what I did and I just wish my time would turn back and I could do what I loved the most, and being an emo guy I already am in tears -_- and no i'm NOT CUTE, FFS quit saying that ](*,) ).

A few years passed by and I came across Progenic (I believe not many people know or remember it) it was a place where they had a Voting thing going on for the best Hacking Forum (Man, I feel weird on why do we call them Hacking Forums it just sounds lame when I loud think about it ), I saw that my Forum and Suck-o always had a tight competition and I was always honest on the way I Voted there and I got curious as to what makes Suck-o the top almost all the time. ( the place where I come from people don't like it when you say that yes, the person who is racing against us is actually quite good, so I had to face a lot of shit from them too lol ).....

I met my other family, my other Home, the place where I can come and be away from everyone else and no one would judge me for how I look and how I behave with someone or how do I react to a certain situation but I felt more welcome than anything, I felt like I was at home from Day 1 when I joined this place. (before this post turns into my life history i'll stop writing).

All the things which I said above were because I could relate to what DNR said also for more about how I felt in my earlier days do read 'A Hacker's Manifesto' By THE MENTOR.

Lets talk more about the Beast DNR mentioned. I remember he once also mentioned that there is not 'WHITE' or 'BLACK' but rather a 'Lighter Shade of Grey' or 'Darker Shade of Grey' and I read it more like a 3-4 years ago and since than I have been using this for ever because I like this version better. Why I like this is because what ever we do be it 'Black' or 'White' we have an intention of doing it. Meaning there by that we have a reason for doing the same.
In 'GITA ( one of the books which I believe everyone should read and follow, not because of Religious Purpose but because it gives us brilliant life lessons) it says in there that
"KARM KARO MAGAR FAL KI CHINTA MET KARO"[/qoute]. Meaning thereby that you should work and do what you are supposed to do without worrying about the result of it, or without worrying about the impact it will have on you and your life or after life. So if you look at the reason for doing the things well it's already 'GREY', well there goes a point which can turn into a healthy Debate yay...

So I believe that if we consider 'Hacking' only related to 'Computers' or 'Technology' then we are all 'Grey' neither 'Black' nor 'White'.

But from what I understand from the term "HACKING" is that it's what you do with a thing which it is not supposed to do. I might not be clear but lets say an Example that a Mobile Phone is supposed to take calls and receive calls and if I am using it for some other purpose than what it actually supposed to do then it is hacking in it's own way. :? ( Not a great Example I know). I have a better understanding to it because in India we call it 'Judag'. It means that we make use of a 'thing' in a way which that 'thing' is not supposed to be used. Kinda. I use a 'Card Board Box' generally used to packing or holding things inside it as my iPad stand when I am Skyping with my girl and we end up watching a movie. This also can be termed as 'Hacking'

( I will be getting lost anytime now)
ph0bYx
And yes, a lot of people will think of you as a criminal if you say that you're a hacker, that's the direct consequence of those ignorant reporters and people that I mentioned above. But do you really need to call yourself a hacker in front of such people? I might have a hacker mind set but you'll never see me calling myself a hacker, especially not in front of ignorant people. I don't need them to be looking at me as a criminal, I don't need that kind of attention just because I fit in the hacker mind set, I like to work with computers, learn, explore, discover, think different and so on.
Unless you're an attention seeker, don't let everyone know you're a hacker, you won't gain anything than a bad reputation. It's unfair, I know, but that's the world we're living in.
What I actually am trying to say is that Hackers are not just who all the masses presume us to be. A Plumber who fixes a tap with some 'out-of-the-box-thinking' is also a 'Hacker' in his field.

Also what ph0bYx and DNR says is correct it is actually unto us with which head we go ahead and use. 'Hacking' is about life and the way you live your life. It cannot be a term which is defined with one sentence or defined within a dictionary. It's more like a way of life to me...!!! Again I'm just putting what 'Hacking' means to me and how I feel about it...

Hope this long long post turns into a good healthy discussion and I can bring back this topic into life again...

Also
Do not lock this post cause it is very old and I posted in it and it might bring some Ripples into the forum, sincere request to the Admin...
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel