[PHP][Framework] Laravel

All about creating websites!
ayu
Staff
Staff

[PHP][Framework] Laravel

Post by ayu »

I would like to quickly introduce the Laravel framework.
I started with it about two years ago after I realised that CodeIngiter just wasn't working out for me anymore.
It simply became too much work to maintain my installation of CodeIgniter, and whenever I needed to update to a newer version of CI it would become troublesome as changes I made would be overwritten.
Laravel has a better approach and let's me do more things without changing any important part of the framework.
It has much higher security standard and is, as far as I know, fast than most other PHP frameworks today.

So far I have made three larger projects with Laravel:

* A phishing attack tool for customers at work
* A writing game https://www.oddtale.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (the idea failed but the road there was fun)
* A tile based strategy game which I'm currently working on whenever I have time

They also offer loads of tutorials, both in text and video, for free.
So if you like PHP and need a new framework, I can highly recommend this one :)

https://laravel.com/docs/5.5/installation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Re: [PHP][Framework] Laravel

Post by Gogeta70 »

I have never understood this... PHP is a fairly straightforward language and it doesn't take a lot of time to do much of anything with it. What merit is there to adding a PHP framework to the mix? Seems like a lot of bloat, plus you're adding a lot of unnecessary attack surface to your code.

I'm not trying to be condescending here, I just want to know your take on this. What advantage is there to using a framework in a language like PHP?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

cats wrote:I would like to quickly introduce the Laravel framework.
I started with it about two years ago after I realised that CodeIngiter just wasn't working out for me anymore.
It simply became too much work to maintain my installation of CodeIgniter, and whenever I needed to update to a newer version of CI it would become troublesome as changes I made would be overwritten.
Laravel has a better approach and let's me do more things without changing any important part of the framework.
It has much higher security standard and is, as far as I know, fast than most other PHP frameworks today.
Story of my life... mirrored...
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Gogeta70 wrote:I have never understood this... PHP is a fairly straightforward language and it doesn't take a lot of time to do much of anything with it. What merit is there to adding a PHP framework to the mix? Seems like a lot of bloat, plus you're adding a lot of unnecessary attack surface to your code.

I'm not trying to be condescending here, I just want to know your take on this. What advantage is there to using a framework in a language like PHP?
Well, I agree on your thoughts, but PHP was a vulnerable language, but with Laravel, I think it has become a little robust. I mean, the framework is very robust and as stated by cats, it has good security standards. I've used almost cake, fuel, CI, symphony, falcon frameworks, but found Laravel the best so far. It's simplicity (both understanding and coding wise), robustness, faster development makes it favourable. Although it was crooked when it launched. The version 4 was the exact replica of CI, with folder structure was of CI, and coding was of Laravel. In 2015 January, when 5th version got launched, I converted my project from core PHP to Laravel, and pioneered the use of Laravel everywhere in my company.

Our websites have been hacked (4-5 times) when they were in either of those mentioned frameworks, but with the use of Laravel, not a single penetration so far.
Learning NMAP

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Gogeta70 wrote:I have never understood this... PHP is a fairly straightforward language and it doesn't take a lot of time to do much of anything with it. What merit is there to adding a PHP framework to the mix? Seems like a lot of bloat, plus you're adding a lot of unnecessary attack surface to your code.

z3r0aCc3Ss summed it up pretty well.
But Laravel is very much about coding standard and structure as well.
It sort of forces you to use their structure (encourage might be a better word there).
A structure which comes with loads of "secure by default" functions that PHP normally misses (like CSRF-protection).
Two other big features that I love about it is that they strongly encourage the use of their ORM (Eloquent) which makes life so much easier, plus it protects against SQLi.
The framework is built to lead you straight into a near perfect structure which emphasises separation of concerns with the help of their Blade template engine, which for the record has great protection against XSS built in.

I used to hate ORM and migration tables, and now I don't want to live without it :P.
When I want to make a bunch of changes in my tables during development, all I have to do is to make the change in the migration code (takes 2 seconds) and then do "php artisan migrate:reset && php artisan migrate", and done. Then I have a bunch of Laravel console commands which fills my database with some test values etc.

The best way to get to figure out if Laravel is for you, is to simply go through their "getting started" pages :). It's not only about how you code in the framework, but also the tools around it.

I sound like a cultist here, but it really is a nice framework ;P

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

I went through the oddtale website. It's quite interesting. The logic you've applied, and time keeping constraints are intriguing. =D>
I had developed a similar application for Mercedes-Benz for their HR portal.

And don't worry, you can allow other character sets as well. Laravel is robust and smart enough to prevent any such attacks. :)
Learning NMAP

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

z3r0aCc3Ss wrote:I went through the oddtale website. It's quite interesting. The logic you've applied, and time keeping constraints are intriguing. =D>
I had developed a similar application for Mercedes-Benz for their HR portal.

And don't worry, you can allow other character sets as well. Laravel is robust and smart enough to prevent any such attacks. :)
Yeah Oddtale was a really fun project, but no one has been interested in playing it.
I will let it be online for another year or so then I will probably take it offline to save me the maintenance time :).

Did you use Laravel as well for your project then?

Yeah, it's probably fine with the charsets, just me being a bit paranoid (work habit).

Currently working very hard on my strategy game in Laravel and Phaser, and will post some fun stuff regarding that soon as well :D

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Hmm. Well, maybe I'll check Laravel out. I'm always wary of frameworks because I honestly prefer to just develop in the base language for the reasons I stated above - bloat and security.

It does sound interesting though.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

cats wrote:Yeah Oddtale was a really fun project, but no one has been interested in playing it.
I will let it be online for another year or so then I will probably take it offline to save me the maintenance time :).

Did you use Laravel as well for your project then?

Yeah, it's probably fine with the charsets, just me being a bit paranoid (work habit).

Currently working very hard on my strategy game in Laravel and Phaser, and will post some fun stuff regarding that soon as well :D
Are you targeting the right audience? If not, then why would anyone want to write, and that too in a time constrained environment? Are you giving any rewards?
Think from 3rd person point of view. It's a no-no situation. There will be a few participants who would genuinely like to write, but not much, IMO.

I've been using Laravel since 2014. All my project since then are in Laravel only.

Looking forward to your game. :)

BTW, very nice mascot. Looks like NPCs from Rangarok Online.
Learning NMAP