What is an art?

...let us know what you think, free speech!
z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

What is an art?

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

I've been thinking about this since a long long time, but could never come up with the solution. What is an art?

I've been working with many art galleries lately to develop websites for them, and it's very difficult to work with them. Epitome of paranoia. You screw up even with 1 pixel here and there they all panic. And the worst part is, no matter how much efforts you put it, they're never happy with the end result. They want their website to look exactly the same on all browsers and all on all OSes.

Oxford primarily defines it as the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power. Merriam webster defines it as skill acquired by experience, study, or observation.

Let's put this in the background. What I feel is, anything and everything that someone does, is an art. The way, the manner in which it is carried out is an art.

My main problem or question is, why it is often linked with either singing, music, sculpture, painting, etc. Why not something like coding for example. Let me give you an example by comparison.

Let's say there's a tree, and a painter uses the tree as the main object and draws something that attracts other people. It may be just a tree, or conveying a message, or anything. But the perspective of the viewers to look at it, to analyze it will always be different. So, the painter takes some thing as a baseline and uses it.
In a similar way, there's a programming language. It's a base to make an art out of it. You use it in such a manner that it has never been used before for such tasks. Won't this be counted as an art?

I mean, a hacker is also a true artist. Just as the painter or a photographer see things differently, so do the hackers. The only difference is the field of work.

Do you agree with me on this point? I would like to know your thoughts on this.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: What is an art?

Post by ayu »

I believe anything can be art.
It's all about how you view it or what the creators meaning behind it is.

With that said, this doesn't mean I have to like it.
I hate most "modern abstract art", because it doesn't make sense to me.
For me art has to be able to describe itself.

I don't necessarily have to understand the meaning behind it, but I want to be able to look at it and not want to take my eyes away from it.

One of my favourite artists is Giovanni Strazza.
Not because of any meaning behind his work, but at his unimaginable crafting skills.
It's beauty out of this world in my eyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Veiled_Virgin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other type of art that I like is Anime/Manga, or just walking around in the National Gallery in London.
And you don't have to only look at it to appreciate it.
Go into the National Gallery with a face swap app on your phone and you'll have the time of your life.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

z3r0aCc3Ss

Re: What is an art?

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

cats wrote:I believe anything can be art.
It's all about how you view it or what the creators meaning behind it is.

For me art has to be able to describe itself.

I don't necessarily have to understand the meaning behind it, but I want to be able to look at it and not want to take my eyes away from it.

One of my favourite artists is Giovanni Strazza.
Not because of any meaning behind his work, but at his unimaginable crafting skills.
It's beauty out of this world in my eyes

And you don't have to only look at it to appreciate it.
Go into the National Gallery with a face swap app on your phone and you'll have the time of your life.
I was precisely looking for this. Thanks.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP