Chrome new window position reset?

Problems? Post here...
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Chrome new window position reset?

Post by bad_brain »

as so often my cat walked around on my keyboard, this time she did a weird thing with Chrome:

usually you can set the position/size of a new minimized browser window, simply by opening one, maximizing it, opening a new one, close the maximized one, and then close the 2nd minimized one at the position/size you want to. but that is not working anymore, no matter what I do the window always opens at the lower left corner now.... :lol: 8O

anyone an idea? didn't find anything in the main settings, there surely is something in chrome:// but it the keywords suck to google for... :lol:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Chrome new window position reset?

Post by ayu »

hmmm yikes :lol:. No idea unfortunately :-k. Is resetting to chrome default settings an option for you?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

You could try this, I'm not sure if it'll work...

Open ~/.config/google-chrome/Profile 1/Preferences in a text editor, and copy the contents to the clipboard.
Go to https://jsonlint.com (or a linter of your choice), paste the JSON and hit the 'Validate JSON' button. It should've formatted the JSON for you.
You'll notice near the top, around line 20 or so, some window placement parameters. You can try tweaking those or looking through the rest of the file to see if there are any other possible options you can change.

If you try it, I hope it works ^_^
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

thanks for the tips guys! :D

turned out it wasn't really Chrome causing the issue, my hacker kitty changed the properties of the Chrome desktop shortcut... :lol:
instead of "open as normal window" it was set to "open minimized" which obviously has a fixed position/size.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Hah, damn shortcut properties! I always forget about those :lol:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...