Windows version download

Problems? Post here...
Dr-Chambers
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Windows version download

Post by Dr-Chambers »

Greetings geniuses.

So, my computer is in need of a new version of Windows.

Can you allow me to know which Windows version is the best? I think I was told that Windows 7 is the best right now compared to Windows 10.

Whatever information you can provide will truly be appreciated.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Windows version download

Post by ayu »

Windows 10, download from Microsofts website.
Since the security patches are not really flying over to the older versions of Windows, I would never recommend using them.
Besides, Windows 10 is quite alright.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Dr-Chambers

Post by Dr-Chambers »

ayu wrote:Windows 10, download from Microsofts website.
Since the security patches are not really flying over to the older versions of Windows, I would never recommend using them.
Besides, Windows 10 is quite alright.
Thank you Ayu! I've uploaded it.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ayu wrote:Besides, Windows 10 is quite alright.
it is, which supports my MS "one crap OS, followed by a good one, followed by a crap one" theory... :lol:

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

The one problem I have with Windows 10 is that it's basically a giant piece of spyware wrapped in the guise of an operating system. [-(
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Gogeta70 wrote:The one problem I have with Windows 10 is that it's basically a giant piece of spyware wrapped in the guise of an operating system. [-(
well, every piece of mainstream software is nowadays...:/
open source FTW, but when you go full open source without any proprietary software you have deal with the following problems:

- spending like 50% of the time fixing issues and bugs
- support for proprietary protocols and standards often sucks, which can be a big issue when you need it for business (if you want to see hell just try to make skype calls work with open source only)

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

bad_brain wrote:
Gogeta70 wrote:The one problem I have with Windows 10 is that it's basically a giant piece of spyware wrapped in the guise of an operating system. [-(
well, every piece of mainstream software is nowadays...:/
open source FTW, but when you go full open source without any proprietary software you have deal with the following problems:

- spending like 50% of the time fixing issues and bugs
- support for proprietary protocols and standards often sucks, which can be a big issue when you need it for business (if you want to see hell just try to make skype calls work with open source only)
Yeah, unfortunately it has become normal for our devices to constantly monitor us and send it off to whoever. But you are right about open source, it has its own problems.

I actually have tried to get Skype to work on Linux... unsuccessfully :lol:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Gogeta70 wrote: Yeah, unfortunately it has become normal for our devices to constantly monitor us and send it off to whoever. But you are right about open source, it has its own problems.

I reinstalled my machine a couple of days ago. Ubuntu 19.04. Not a single issue so far and even Skype works perfectly :D

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

ayu wrote:
Gogeta70 wrote: Yeah, unfortunately it has become normal for our devices to constantly monitor us and send it off to whoever. But you are right about open source, it has its own problems.

I reinstalled my machine a couple of days ago. Ubuntu 19.04. Not a single issue so far and even Skype works perfectly :D
Nice! I tried to install Skype (for business? can't remember...) 3 or so years ago and could never get it to work very well. Although, Microsoft has really been a lot more friendly towards Linux lately, so maybe they improved their support for it. :)

Anyway, how are you liking Ubuntu? I've been using Ubuntu 16.04 and 18 (bionic beaver :lol: ) on my work computer. Personally it just feels a bit bloated, but it is definitely more user-friendly than your typical distro. Debian will always be my go-to distro though - bad_brain really rubbed off on me :P

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ubuntu is, compared to debian, of course a lot more bleeding edge with their software versions because being a desktop system was always its intention, while debian always was a server system where the main focus is on stability and security.

ubuntu is not my cup of tea though, I used it a couple of times but it always ended with fucking up the system completely by trying to fix errors reported in syslog, not that those errors caused issues, getting syslog as slim as possible like a hobby of mine... :lol:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Gogeta70 wrote: Nice! I tried to install Skype (for business? can't remember...) 3 or so years ago and could never get it to work very well. Although, Microsoft has really been a lot more friendly towards Linux lately, so maybe they improved their support for it. :)

Anyway, how are you liking Ubuntu? I've been using Ubuntu 16.04 and 18 (bionic beaver :lol: ) on my work computer. Personally it just feels a bit bloated, but it is definitely more user-friendly than your typical distro. Debian will always be my go-to distro though - bad_brain really rubbed off on me :P
Ubuntu has its issues, but I'm pretty comfortable with it. I'm doing less and less computer related stuff these days and try to focus more and more on my writing. So in that sense I find Ubuntu pretty sweet and everything I need is easy to get going : )

OliviaGarza

Post by OliviaGarza »

When it comes to Windows versions, it really depends on what you're looking for.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

OliviaGarza wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 09:54
When it comes to Windows versions, it really depends on what you're looking for.