Reddit is about to go the way of Digg

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Reddit is about to go the way of Digg

Post by Stavros »

I really haven't been paying attention to Reddit news other than to say that Reddit is probably about to have an IPO rug pull moment. Yesterday logging into Reddit Is Fun on my phone I got a notification that changes to the Reddit API (they're going to be charging exorbitant prices for access to the API) will cause the app to shut down. The official app is a shitty web 3.0 abomination.

I have a love-hate relationship with Reddit. As much as I despise the cesspit politics has made Reddit (and that is the majority of subreddits) there are good subreddits. Mostly trading subreddits. I particularly like Selfhosted, hardwareswap, homelabsales, and gundeals. If they get rid of old.reddit I'm done.

I also found an interesting article about how online advertising basically committed seppuku.

All I know is I fucking hate new tech.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Reddit is about to go the way of Digg

Post by bad_brain »

I never actively used reddit, just often stumbled over threads in google when searching for work related stuff....mostly about the hosting platform I am using, etc.
sometimes the threads were helpful, but often I had to ask myself how deep they have their heads up google's ass to get such high rankings for such pointless content. I guess that's the way it goes when you reached some kind of semi-monopoly position and forget about the one who actually made you that big: the userbase. if you keep disappointing them sooner or later you'll become the next expertsexchange (if anyone remembers them...lol).