Gnome 3

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
ayu
Staff
Staff

Gnome 3

Post by ayu »

So, anyone tried out Gnome 3 yet?

I read that you can get it from the experimental rep in Debian but I haven't had time to play around with it yet.

http://gnome3.org/
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Gnome 3

Post by bad_brain »

hm, I might set up a Debian testing version for it... :-k

here you can see the status btw, I guess it will be no picknick to install:
http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.0-status.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

uh, that sucks :/

oh well, I will setup something as well when I have time :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

crap, installed Wheezy now but udev startup fails...so no keyboard and mouse.... ](*,)
will have to figure that out in the next days... :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:crap, installed Wheezy now but udev startup fails...so no keyboard and mouse.... ](*,)
will have to figure that out in the next days... :-k

hmm ok :-k

I'll probably setup a virtual one next week or so.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ok, I might remove Wheezy today, set up another copy of Squeeze and try to update only Gnome from there then... :-k

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ok, after all ended up catastrophic I took the easy way and got the preview live distro from gnome.org. it failed to boot on my server box, but on my main system it did, so here's a quick review and 2 screenshots:

at first it's a little confusing because all you get is an empty screen with just some basic functions (mostly view settings and user management). on the screenshot I already loaded the system settings, so you can see how the menus in windows are organized:

but after clicking the "activities" link in the upper left it became pretty impressive:

nice Ajax-like overlay effects, well organized, and some features from the old Beryl desktop enhancement are used too...just in a little different way (the windows are now centered and zoomed out when you access a new menu, not when moving the pointer into the upper right corner).

of course this is nothing for server systems, but no desktops are....so I am pretty impressed and look forward to use Gnome3 on my Debian desktop system (sadly it seems that it will not become part of Squeezy, it is planned for Wheezy).

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Looking good :D

It's a shame that it wont come very soon for Debian.
But then again, Gnome3 is probably a bit buggy at the moment since it's so new, so it's probably better to let it mature a bit first before picking the fruit :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, as usual Debian always uses only features that are known to be stable. but give Wheezy a couple of months.... :D

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:yeah, as usual Debian always uses only features that are known to be stable. but give Wheezy a couple of months.... :D
Yup!

I already have butterflies in my stomach of excitement! :P

(Maybe over exaggerated it a bit, but I am excited ;) )

Anyway, we have to monitor this closely, I have been wanting a new desktop environment for a long time now ... old Gnome is getting a bit boring :D

Shimo
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Shimo »

I'm actually very excited for Gnome 3, I've been a gnome fan since I started on linux. KDE just seems all silly with tons of useless features I never used. Gnome was uniform and slender, to see that they are keeping that slender feel is really nice. I'm deffinitly going to make a live cd with gnome 3 to test it out.
[img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/xblric9000000/ShimoSignature.jpg[/img]