How do I close my Suck-o account?

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
skulldragon_001
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

How do I close my Suck-o account?

Post by skulldragon_001 »

The title asks it all, but seriously, I couldn't find that box or button named "click here to erase your account"..

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: How do I close my Suck-o account?

Post by bad_brain »

to make it short: you can't. to delete an account would also delete the posts, and this would mess up the forums. accounts can only be locked on request.... :wink:

skulldragon_001
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Account locking also locks out the username availability (does it?), so it's better for banning.

But, how about allowing to delete, but keep the posts and just replace the username with "account deleted" or something like that?

Also, some newbies don't do much, like me, rarely talk anything smart and mainly download goodies, so messing up the forum won't even be an issue in this case after account removal.

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

Do you really need to delete your account? There's no point really, we're not selling your info to lamers :D

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Why would anyone want to delete their account here anyway? I don't see the point in it :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I agree with the topic creator though in one sense.

One has the right to get his/her account details removed in some way.
Sure we could just change the account info, but why not do it properly? ^^

Part of the reason I am agreeing is because I read about a "law" that might come to be true in the future, that will force sites (in Europe at least) to give users the ability to remove their accounts whenever it pleases them.

We probably wont fix such a functionality in the near future, if ever.
But I agree on that, it should be taken into consideration.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

JohnB
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by JohnB »

You can do this:

Edit all your posts to ''.
Request a username change.
Request account locking.

Also cats, I wonder how that would affect wikipedia accounts. It's impossible to delete your account there as all edits must be attributable to the GPL. Wonder how that law would apply.

You can though 'vanish' and request a name change.
Sprich mit mir!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, well, we could add a "request removal" link and change the usernames then to random stuff like Guest1243.... :-k

skulldragon_001
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Talking about laws, * points to Net giants challenge French data law article *

While some allow, for better privacy, others deny, because of crime prevention.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

change your nick and move on.

your post will likely not be removed for sake of Non-Repudiation. The internet has to maintain several things to remain legitimate; Non-Repudiation is one of them.

Repudiate
"1. To reject the validity or authority of:
2. To reject emphatically as unfounded, untrue, or unjust: repudiated the accusation.
3. To refuse to recognize or pay: repudiate a debt.
4. To disown"

Under the nick that you wrote here, all your statements will remain to keep not just other's information intact, their conversations, but your's as well. IF the internet was a big old mess like like AOL, we would have people signing on with all sorts of cool, badass nicks, posting stuff 'what ever they want to say', and then signing off and coming back under a different nick, same shit. People have to take responsibility for what they do and post on the internet, the internet has to maintain a sort of serious business about it - or the vision of the creators of the internet - will be shit upon.

The other parts of the internet that are important -
non-repudiation, identity, and incorruptible storage of all internet comms. Identity has to be tied to a person's accountability on the internet, this can be highly privilege information - for the privacy of the general pop. The archiving of all communications and files has to be secure, it cannot be modified, changed, redacted - because that is what governments and corporations do to history. The internet has to be a legitimate archive of human history, the news, the emails, the camera phone pictures - will depict the REAL story of humans.

So, really - no, we probably won't change a damn thing. Deal with it.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.