Good Networking and TCP/IP Books Please

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Raz0r
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Good Networking and TCP/IP Books Please

Post by Raz0r »

Hello eveyone, my exams are finally over and now I can devote my time to get serious about learning this stuff :D .I have already googled and found myself numerous books,the reason I am asking for NAMES of the books (not links---but if u wanna pm....fine with me) especially the NAMES of books about TCP/IP books and networking books is because i wanted to get actual recommendations from this (hacker) community and not some lame,really hard to understand books :oops: .I have heard that people who want to start down this path need to learn those stuff first,then the os inside out,the terminal,and then to programming. Thanks for all your help and support,so that i can actually begin to contribute to the forum *thumb* .
I can use all the shells,so now I can finally hear the ocean

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Re: Good Networking and TCP/IP Books Please

Post by maboroshi »

I can recommend TCP/IP Illustrated Volumes I and II should give you a solid foundation in the different protocols. Then start looking into IPv6 books as well as Books on specific protocols (Like DNS).

Get a Unix system. Any Linux or BSD will be good. I highly recommend Scapy for any involvement in learning networking/hacking. Also learn about crafting packets and analyzing them in a sniffer. So I suggest a tutorial or book on Wireshark.

Anyway that's my two cents

*cheers

Maboroshi

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I also recommend the same books as mab (check PM for details), they are pretty easy to understand...but of course it's still no picknick because you have to understand most of it by reading, there is no way to simply try stuff like when getting into Photoshop for example.

at the beginning it is usually a little hard because you have to understand how everything works together, but it's definitely worth it because it's amazing to see how networking actually works... :D

Raz0r
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Raz0r »

thank you everyone,I shall begin reading immediately :D
I can use all the shells,so now I can finally hear the ocean