Looking back

...let us know what you think, free speech!
lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Re: Looking back

Post by lilrofl »

Memory is an interesting thing. I have really bad long term memory so I have a hard time recalling even a week ago, but I consider my life and deduce obvious paths that i must have traveled to end up where I am today. So many disjointed, convoluted half-memories float around, none of them really *feel* false, but I know that they are just a scattering of memories that my brain has stitched together so as to form some semblance of continuity... the only thing I can really get a grip on is what's going on right now, and I suppose in a way that's all that matters.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh yeah, memories are a strange thing. I sometimes lie in bed and can't sleep because some annoying flashbacks from the past came into my head...no idea what my brain is thinking about bringing them up, usually they are simply pointless memories from bad times.
but sometimes also funny ones show up, like me as a 13 year old kid standing on the little balcony of my parents' home smoking a cigarette late at night (my parents were already sleeping, of course they wouldn't have allowed me to smoke)...so I stood there, got a nice dizzy feeling from the cigarette, and had my walkman on listening to the Dead Kennedys....and in my room my C64 was waiting with some nice games like "Impossible Mission" or "Paradroid".
all those memories from long ago feel kinda unreal, but I think that's just a sign that my mind has evolved. the bad memories contain lessons that should not be forgotten in order to survive, and the good ones contain lessons about how little things can make you happy....and how you can always kinda go back there as safe haven.

of course memory fades and changes, there is simply no use for too much details, it's the essence that is important...that's why memories often seem so unreal: the brain is filling the missing details with kinda random ones.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

Life is always in a constant state of shifts and changes. That's just the Nature of everything. Yes, even rocks, though unthinking pieces of matter, change over time and mold into other forms.

As a species, Humanity has a short lifespan. It is because of our short lives that our progression in technology has happened so very very fast. When the Wright Brothers first took to the skies, in only 66 years from that time, humanity (supposedly) landed on the moon. Only 66 years! That's a year less than the current human life expectancy. Humanity is so young - compared to other species on the planet, yet we are an advanced intelligent life form, think about the types of changes that will incur over the next 50 years of human life!

When we look back on our memories, of our past selves, we can only compare what we knew then, with what we know now. It is the recognition in ourselves of our measured growth from the past which surprises us, makes us wonder - "wtf was I thinking?"

Though time does tend to erode memory, it is the recollection of past memories that remind us of everything - the way we were, the things we did, how we fixed something, how we broke something. All of these memories remind us not to make similar mistakes or even how to repeat something we did good. They remind us what we have done so that we have an understanding of what we can do.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

People robbing you'll forget people dyingyou'll regret people moving you'll forget people loving you'll regret people lying you'll forget
(old punk song)

I too regard some old memories as strange and ailen, it is sometimes hard to believe where we came from to get here.

I try to live my life without regret, but sometimes its not possible. You make sacrifices or compromises. I try not to look at my past with dispair over the wrong decisions or choices, or bad compromises - everything I did, made me who I am today.

I do regret people I have left behind, some could not keep up, some wanted to stay the same, some wanted a different direction than I was headed. I did my best while we were together.

I seek out new experiences, new people - as this is the process to new territory, the next level. I make sure that every experience will be healthy and beneficial, for me and others.

Do not be afraid of the future, be prepared. Do not dwell on the past, use what you learned from it.

I get visions from my past, hiding in the deep woods as a teen, with my german shepard, trying to smoke a joint in private. I remember the driving, the racing and few incidents with my cars. I still remember one accident where my glasses slow motion flew off my face on impact. I remember the fights, in school, for work - trying to get out intact or arrest someone. I remember the girls I had. And I remember the guys that were the best of friends, willing to stand up and fight with you. Money gained, and money lost. Jobs gained, jobs losts. I remember life's lessons, things I did, things other people did. I can take myself back to many of the past incidents, sometimes its like PTSD, it comes back when something reminds me of it .I cannot change anything, or I would not be who I am today.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

[youtube][/youtube]

The madness is not in the acts we do, its in the time we wait in between.

DNr
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.