Lifecycle of Electricity

...let us know what you think, free speech!
maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Lifecycle of Electricity

Post by maboroshi »

What is the lifecycle of an electro magnetic current or even an electric current... What does it turn into over time or does it always consist of one state?

ideas.. Floodhound?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: Lifecycle of Electricity

Post by DNR »

to me, electricial circuits are like commo lines, they also have attenuation. The equipment, wires, and connections all rob electrons and distrupt its direction of travel.

It is estimated that of the power the US produces, only 60% is used. 40% is wasted on old wire, old gear and getting from point A to B.

So, electricity is not renewable, it can be stored, but even then - it decays.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, energy is never lost, only transformed. in an electric circuit it could be into heat or magnetism.

the biggest effect electricity has on the life expectation of a circuit is of course the energy that is transformed into heat, #1 reason of electronic components to fail are the electrolytic capacitors, those are moist on the inside and the heat dries them out during the years.

even if you forget about the magnetism or the heat electricity has another effect on the components (even on a simply wire): it changes the atom lattice (and so the magnetic field the electricity flow causes), the atoms kinda align to the stream of electrons, this mostly affects DC circuits of course. this has not a real effect on your everyday equipment, but it can have one on highly sensitive components where neutrality is extreme important, like measuring devices.
from my HighEnd stereo days I still have a "demagnetizer" CD with special tone modulations on it that are supposed to break the permanent alignment of the atom lattice again. :)

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

maboroshi wrote:What is the lifecycle of an electro magnetic current or even an electric current... What does it turn into over time or does it always consist of one state?

ideas.. Floodhound?
Mab,

I have thought about this and honestly I am not sure what to say. I am a little lost in what it is your asking. Perhaps you could ask again the question again but state it differently. Ill respond the best I can...

An inductor can store energy as well as a capacitor. And depending on the circuit the release of energy will differ greatly. I was on a Navy Destroyer back in the 90s and there was a capacitor that held its charge for over 20 years! Remember that nothing can completely make a perfect vacuum. That said a device cant hold a charge for ever, that capacitor I mentioned probably had a mear 5% of its energy left after sitting that period of time. It decayed yet still packed a punch.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

lonewolf
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by lonewolf »

maboroshi wrote:What is the lifecycle of an electro magnetic current or even an electric current... What does it turn into over time or does it always consist of one state?

ideas.. Floodhound?

I also am not too sure what the question is, but I will throw a few simple things out that may help you refine your question.

I will use a scrap handling machine for an example
The generator/Alternator on the machine is the power source the voltage flows through the wires to the magnet head. The head has hundreds of loops of copper wire running around it which creates a little resistance to the flow through the wire. This does Two things the amount of loops, the more loops the stronger the magnet. Voltage is being turned into electro magnet force. The resistance is used to regulate the amount of current flowing through the magnet. The by-product of the resistance is heat. Now once it leaves the magnet head it returns to the source generator/ alternator.

Electricity always flows back to the source that produced it weather it be a battery, generator or a huge ass power plant.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

ok thanks guys for all the input :-)

My question is what is the lifeline of an electric current it may be a bit far fetched of a question. Like it starts as energy transfers into something else maybe heat then what. I guess what I am asking is nonsense haha

Anyway

*cheers

Maboroshi

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

thinking outside the box again!?

Good! *thumb*

Just because no one asked a question before, just means no one else thought of it before.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.