Your IM service sucks :-)

Our very own fight club!
ayu
Staff
Staff

Your IM service sucks :-)

Post by ayu »

When I first got access to the "big I Internet", I used MSN Messenger.
And I used it simply because it was what everyone else used, so I simply had to "get with the fucking program", so to speak.

After that I tried some different variations when all my friends started to spread out amongst the other IM services as they discovered them.
ICQ, IRC, MSN, Yahoo Messenger, Skype, and so on.

But later on, I discovered one thing that they all have in common, and that is that they all suck balls, because you always need at least 2 or 3 of these services to keep in touch with your stubborn friends who refuse to all just use one damn service. So lately I have been a bit more strict with my friends, and simply told them that if they want to continue using stupid insecure and "not so flexible" IM services, then so be it, and then they will simply have to send me an E-mail, call me, or just visit me instead to get in contact with me.

Some of these services are owned by a big company, or they are insecure, or they simply suck and wont work together with other messenger services.

Now, I only use Jabber and Skype, and I only use Jabber at the moment, since all of my friends are currently using it, so I was able to limit myself to that and remove everything else.
But I plan to get rid of Skype as well, as it has fallen into the hands of the devil.

I use Jabber for the following reasons;

1: It's free and open source.
2: It's a distributed protocol, meaning that anyone can start a server of their own and handle all of their account info by their own so that no big and evil company will have it.
3: It's encrypted and secure.
4: Many companies have realized the greatness of this protocol and started using it, making it easier for me to get my friends to stop using shitty services, and actually use a service where I don't have to register, and still talk to them. One of the companies that has done this, is Google with their Google Talk service, and since it uses XMPP/Jabber, it means that I can simply add Google Talk users to my Jabber account on my own server, removing the need to actually creating a Google Talk account.

And as more companies use this protocol, the more choices my friends will have, since they like to butt lick big companies and use their shitty services, but now they can use whatever XMPP service they want, as long as it's open towards the public XMPP network so that I can communicate with them.

So, the only reason I use Skype at the moment, is because I haven't had time to fully execute my plan and make my friends switch to a new service.

What's your excuse?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Your IM service sucks :-)

Post by ph0bYx »

cats wrote: But I plan to get rid of Skype as well, as it has fallen into the hands of the devil.
This made me laugh so hard! :D

My excuse is that I have like 3 or maybe just 2 contacts on Jabber, a few on YIM and everyone else on MSN, and they don't share the more privacy enthusiasm. And since I've quit Facebook a few days ago I'm lucky to talk to one person per day... I feel kinda lonely now :(
But at least I have time for other productive things now, like gaming! :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh well, I have pretty all my contacts either on Yahoo or on Skype, but I think I will get at least rid of Yahoo soon because it's annoying me since such a long time already... :roll:

lonewolf
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by lonewolf »

I gave up on im services a long time ago. I think the last one I used was ICQ in the late 1990's. It has been a while.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I haven't used IM for a couple years now - to me it is akin to taking phone calls, I don't take phone calls anymore either. I rather text or reply to voice mail than talk to people. I find too many people are poor at conversation, they do small talk and shit which I don't care for. Texting is right to the point and brief. IM is just conversation - which is ok at times. Most times I have no time for conversation.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Cats we should set up our own VoIP servers.... We could use my dedicated and build our own client software it wouldn't have PC to Phone calling unless we bought into that :-) But still we could control it :D

Let me know what you think :D

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

maboroshi wrote:Cats we should set up our own VoIP servers.... We could use my dedicated and build our own client software it wouldn't have PC to Phone calling unless we bought into that :-) But still we could control it :D

Let me know what you think :D
Interesting :D

I don't have time to implement a client software at the moment though, unless I get hired through work.
But I would love to setup an XMPP network, or maybe a cluster :D
Or maybe you want something else, like a Mumble or Teamspeak server?

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

HIRED HIRED HIRED, leave it with me, i have already spoke to Mabs about trying to get the funding for this project. *thumb*

Get a plan together for a schedule and costing and il see what i can do :)
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

computathug wrote:HIRED HIRED HIRED, leave it with me, i have already spoke to Mabs about trying to get the funding for this project. *thumb*

Get a plan together for a schedule and costing and il see what i can do :)
Well if it's just to setup a good and working XMPP server then no funding required, as I will do this anyway pretty soon.
Basically I am setting it up to work together with other XMPP services like Google Talk and Facebook, and then I will set a client as a "standard" one and make sure that it supports video, audio, file transfers etc.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Cats as long as data is secure I don't care what we use :-)

I was using AES in my encryption chat program but if you say XMPP is the way to go to be secure then I trust you. As far as servers I have a dedicated atm that we could connect this network of ours....

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Can we arrange a meeting about this in IRC for ASAP guys :D

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

maboroshi wrote:Cats as long as data is secure I don't care what we use :-)

I was using AES in my encryption chat program but if you say XMPP is the way to go to be secure then I trust you. As far as servers I have a dedicated atm that we could connect this network of ours....
Yeah XMPP is great, and then we don't have to implement yet another standard, would just be a waste, and make it even more impossible to switch to something new.
I believe XMPP with a lot of support for other services, many different servers (a cluster perhaps with eJabberd), is the answer :)

I am already running an XMPP server, but I am going to reinstall it very soon to make it even better (and to get support for Google Talk so that people that uses my service can add gtalk users on their account and chat).
computathug wrote: Can we arrange a meeting about this in IRC for ASAP guys :D
I will leave for Norway in a few hours, and I will be back on Sunday evening (GMT+2).
We can have a meeting some time then if you all have time :)

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Sunday is fine for me too buddy :wink:

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Now, I only use Jabber and Skype
How come you're in #suck-o then? : o )
Sprich mit mir!

ph0bYx
Staff Member