Ubuntu Nvidia

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
sherlock
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Ubuntu Nvidia

Post by sherlock »

Hello sucko members,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 (Just installed it after it didn't like 11.04), but my graphic drivers doesn't seem to be working at all. I have tried removing it, reinstalling it and tried a lot of other methods (found through google) but still it won't work. It seems that many other people are having the same problem but there isn't really a work around it.

In the hardware drivers, it says that that nvidia driver is installed but not activated.. Is there a way to fix this, if you guys can help me out..I'd really appreciate it..

I'd hate to give up ubuntu due to trashy graphics

cheers \:D/

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Ubuntu Nvidia

Post by bad_brain »

tried this:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
:-k

also, what driver are you using? the one from the Ubuntu repositories or the official nvidia one?

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I had that problem with my computer. Get to a terminal window type lspci and look for your video card. go to the nvidia site and download the package for your video card. The next step you need to start the computer in command line mode with out starting x ( recovery mode will boot to a command line). Install the drivers the then start x your problem should be solved. If you try to install the drivers through the hardware drivers in the drop down menu it will not work.

There is another way to shut down the gui but it has been quite a while and I am a little foggy on the procedure.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

lonewolf wrote:There is another way to shut down the gui but it has been quite a while and I am a little foggy on the procedure.
Ctrl+Alt+F1 to drop into a console, and then (if using Gnome)

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/gdm stop
:wink:

sherlock

Post by sherlock »

bad_brain wrote:tried this:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
:-k

also, what driver are you using? the one from the Ubuntu repositories or the official nvidia one?
bb i tried that command but still nothing.

My graphic card is galaxy geforce gt 520. I have used both the nvidia drivers from the vendor and the ubuntu repositories (nvidia-current) but the result has been the same.
lonewolf wrote:I had that problem with my computer. Get to a terminal window type lspci and look for your video card. go to the nvidia site and download the package for your video card. The next step you need to start the computer in command line mode with out starting x ( recovery mode will boot to a command line). Install the drivers the then start x your problem should be solved. If you try to install the drivers through the hardware drivers in the drop down menu it will not work.

There is another way to shut down the gui but it has been quite a while and I am a little foggy on the procedure.
I have done this several times, and the results have been the same. The gui can be stopped through sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop or sudo service gdm stop on ubuntu. When I get home, i will post the actual error given at startup and log files.

thanks for the help.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, best post the corresponding messages from syslog so we can see what the actual problem is... :-k

post it here: http://code.suck-o.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;