Post by bad_brain »

coming soon: the review for "Rage"....here's a little teaser:

[youtube][/youtube]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: [review] Rage

Post by bad_brain »

alright, here's my official review of "Rage".

---The Story---
the story plays in the near future, an asteroid hits the earth and causes a global catastrophe, civilization collapses. some chosen people found shelter in underground stasis chambers, you are one of them, and 100 years after the catastrophe you make it back into the world. sound a little like "Fallout"? well, the game is from Bethesda, like Fallout.....not only the story has similarities, more about that later.
so, you're on the surface and instantly attacked by some mutants, luckily a guy in his buggy shows up and saves you...he takes you into the small settlement where he lives, and that's where the actual game starts.

---The Gameplay---
when I started the game I thought "ok, standard FPS, let's go", but after a short time the surprises showed up, because "Rage" is a crazy mix of FPS and a race game, this means you drive around between locations AND you can even drive real races for money and bonus points. you can also buy a lot of upgrades for your vehicles, from paintjobs and tires over bigger engines and boosters to weapons. real fun!

here's a little clip from the FPS element:
[youtube][/youtube]

and here from the race element:
[youtube][/youtube]

to add more fun you can also build some stuff yourself, usual stuff like bandages but also fun stuff like radio controlled cars with attached bombs...pretty funny to control such cars btw.

---The Graphics---
and here it is again, the similarity to "Fallout", because it looks a lot like it....just more colorful, the character animation is also a little better.
but there is a serious drawback: when you installed the game it will be unplayable in many cases because texture buffering is catastrophic....you turn around and have to wait 2 second until the textures show up...awful.
there are some things you have to do for a decent gaming experience, first create a cache for the game, create the following path:

Code: Select all

users\username\appdata\local\id software\rage 
when you started the game afterwards you will find a 1GB cache file in there.
I use an ATI card, so I had to install the latest Catalyst preview driver:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pa ... verV2.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

afterwards the game ran pretty smooth for me, but when you turn really fast you can still see the texture loading lag, but it's not really annoying anymore:
[youtube][/youtube]

to make it perfect you can google for a Rage config generator, the one I found yesterday is down now, so I can not link anyone at the moment.

but back to the good things. what I really like are the weird characters and all the nice details, just look at that showmaster:

he has a computer chair with an inbuilt toilet....anyone a link where I can buy one? :lol:

---Conclusion---
serious, guys, why do you release games that are obviously just 2 days beyond alpha status, I know this became a fashion in the last few years....but the graphics problems in "Rage" after a standard install are so bad that a weekend computer user that just wants to play a game and has no real knowledge will end up REALLY frustrated.
the suck-o-teers luckily know how to use computers, so I will not decrease the rating by 5 points as it actually would deserve. :evil:
when you got the game running smoothly it is real fun! not into shooting at the moment? ok, drive a race! and of course vice versa....so it will not get boring. the story and the gameplay are also loads of fun, it's like a mix of "Fallout" and the way "Red Faction" should have been. go and get it! *thumb*

9/10