Glow logo on car

Hobbies that have no own category (yet).
Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Re: Glow logo on car

Post by Necrix »

Thanks! In fact, I was going to mention this on my next update. :)

In my case, I'll be using the touch-up paint that's for my color of car.

I'm not sure what you mean by sandwich, but I'm planning on having plastic attached on the inside of the trunk with the two pieces of logo on the outside. To solve the visibility of parts inside of the trunk, I ordered some clear carbon fiber style vinyl to put on the plastic.

I can't be sure how effective the vinyl will be just yet, but I'll know when it comes in. At least it might offer some UV protection for the plastic.

The adhesive I'll be using is E6000. I decided on E6000 rather than Gorilla Glue just because I have previous experience using E6000 on a pendant I wear daily and it's been through all sorta of weather successfully.

I also considered covering the two logo pieces with black carbon fiber vinyl...might look good once I get the car painted black..not probably not now.

Thanks again!
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

you got the right idea, the 'sandwich' is the gluing of the two halfs - inside and outside parts together. I just wanted you to make it air tight so the bare metal is protected from the environment.

The sandwich I wish could be screwed together - for repairs. the glue was only meant like a sealant - it can be removed.
Both inside and outside halves need sealant. But if you rust proof the bare metal, then you are just sealing to prevent rain and water getting in

DN
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

I prefer the idea of screwing it in, too...though aesthetically it just wouldn't do.

The glue I'm using is waterproof so it should also act like a gasket.

The project's on hold until the vinyl comes in and until I get paid Thursday. In the meantime, I got a sample of the vinyl in and I think it'll do its job quite nicely.

Thanks for the response!

A teaser of the vinyl:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Necrix - it is a project, and of course by geek nature we all are interested. Keep up with the photos

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

badwolves1986

Post by badwolves1986 »

thanks for idea brother :D *thumb*

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

A little preview of it.

It's not attached to the car yet, I'm currently devising ways to do this besides gluing it in. Gluing it just doesn't seem feasible as it'd have to be held in place perfectly..if this thing is misaligned, it looks *terrible* (though it's obviously not perfect anyway)

misaligned:

I don't think it'll be too hard to figure something out...probably something self adhesive strategically placed..
...duct tape :P (jk)

Anyway, I have to say that I'm eager to finally get this done and to move onto another project!!
Also, having had such a break from this project..I realized how crazy I was for starting it in the first place haha. I guess it's not too shabby for being mostly hand-filed. If I were to do it in the future, I might just get a same-thickness sheet metal machined at a machine shop and then all I would have to do is cut the hole in the car perfectly.

Have a good day!

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I like the carbon fiber look for the emblem - you might have something here - why not make mercedes, caddilac, and even mustang emblems out of carbon fiber and sell them?

My olds intrigue has a similar logo like yours, a black carbon fiber emblem on the white hood would have been bad ass - a little message that this is no ordinary intrigue...

DNR
-

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

Thanks! Unfortunately, people are already doing it...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Never be discouraged because someone else did/doing it. There is always another way to do something better.

There is also the local market to take advantage of, that people on the 'net can't grasp - friends have sold handmade stuff to local shops.

One did pager/cell phone cases out of leather (there were factory made ones at the time- but crappy), another sold R14 refrigerant for cars (it was being banned for the newer 'green' refrigerant, but old cars needed it) by going shop to shop.
I myself, I used to install car audio, car phones, and security systems at people's homes or businesses - while there were plenty of Stereo shops out there - no one liked to wait in some waiting room. My company allowed them to be at home or work while I installed their toys.

DNR
-

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

I apologize if I'm updating *too* much but I was just so excited!
I finally glued the thing in. I meant the duct-tape idea as a joke..but it turned out to be perfect to hold the thing in place while the glue dried.

The duct tape is what you see in the logo.
What's cool is that the logo is already lit up by the license plate light. This is with just one of the two lights working, too!

Now, for the project, to actually get the white light/brake light thing to work I'll have to make a housing of some sort. In the meantime, it's nice to know that it's already lookin kinda cool.

Thanks!

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Nice one man :-)

Looks really sick, good job so far. Keep working on it until its completed

*cheers

Maboroshi

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

looks cool man, good work...:D
what light are you using? the one for the license plate? because some cold cathode ones used for computer cases would be cool, there are even ones that change the color....and it would work without the need of any customization because those lights work with 12V....:D

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

Yup ^^ It's just the license plate light right now.

Cold cathode, huh? hmmm That's a good idea.

I was already thinking about not using LEDs since it would take a cluster of them to be bright enough and it would take up much space. So, I was considering using bulbs like those used for cars anyway.

Cold cathode brings up a new option, too..and maybe a better one since I don't want the housing I make/use to get too hot and melt.

Thanks!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, a LED cluster is also a good idea, you can also use the ones from case modding, one I really like is the "Lamptron 6-Cluster Lazer LED - Psycho Flashing":

[youtube][/youtube]

but then again it might be a little over the top and a nice old cathode would be even more cool... :-k

lonewolf
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by lonewolf »

looking good that is a really slick idea.