router keylogger

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

router keylogger

Post by Kirk »

anyone know of a router keylogger? I want to be able to place it on my wgt624 router. I dont want to have to do a bunch to have to install it. Or if you know of another way to do something like this, let me know.

thanks
kirk

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: router keylogger

Post by DNR »

i assume you have control over their admin page for their wifi router.

You have settings for the router where it could forward logs to you, but can be a problem as your information is now exposed to someone else who might access the admin page.

If you lock out the owner of the router, all he can do is reset the router with a button, but he will also erase any information you had entered.

You can update the Firmware of the router to add more functionality to the router, even make it look like the owner's original settings, null any new settings by the owner, set a back door, or even "Brick and Run" - where you flash the firmware to be useless, it won't boot, it won't take a new flash of the firmware. By changing the firmware (yes, you have to code it or find one already coded) you can control the admin of the router while presenting the owner's settings.
Some newer routers have a locked firmware, this is what the router will reboot to in the event of a failed firmware update - ie brick and run.

Start here
Netgear support and documentation
http://support.netgear.com/app/products ... /a_id/1297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you'll find the downloads for the firmware and instructions.

Check here
"The downloads on this page are unnecessary for almost all NETGEAR users. This code on this page may be needed if you do programming to alter the code."
GPL Open Source Code for Programmers
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read about tomatoes here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Google or write code!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

That Tomatoe looks like dd-wrt, which I have on my router. im going to look into that more.

Kirk

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I have used tomato before and I don't think it has the features you want. Please try it though you'll learn a lot form it.

I just don't think a router can record key strokes since they are not transmitted to the router. The router just receives packets of data that is intended to be sent to some other computer / device on the network. An example is that I type a love letter in a word file. The router would never see this data unless it was sent using the routers protocols.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Right - the router could replay traffic to another IP - so when you send that love letter over the internet - an exact copy is sent to your machine. You will only be able to MiTM or sniff traffic, not log keystrokes - this is enough to gain access to email and internet logins.

You could effect the DNS or host file so when the person goes to login to gmail - it's really a spoofed page on your computer, on the same network. After he logs into your spoofed page, you would just flash him a 'error page, try again' and redirect him to the real site to allow him to reenter his pwd and login normally.

Firmware OS is the key here.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.